Buying a "new in box" Helix 2 from Craigslist for way too low of price

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Shogmaster, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mi7chy

Mi7chy Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you calibrate it in Windows both in landscape and portrait? Wacom is usually less accurate near the edges out-of-the-box where it tends to drift towards the center but Windows calibration corrects this.

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

It's been done =)

[​IMG]

I think he got fired though ...

Marty likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah, but that's clearly an iPad...he would be 10x cooler with a Windows tablet, fact. :vbbiggrin:

4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Lol that is the OG surface =)

And I wasn't joking about him getting fired (although not for this)

5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I think I started off with the newest Feel it driver. It's a murder on Fresh Paint, apparently. That app is completely broken now in terms of pressure sensitivity. I'm pretty sure it's the Wacom driver. As for the Helix. it's an almost a win in hardware, and complete **** in OS set up. Lenovo must stop emulating Toshiba of early 2000's all the "value added" software.

Hardware wise, I'm not too keen on choice of slippery glass and fidgety port covers. Also the hardware button layout and feel are terrible. I have to keep looking to find which button is where. Not intuitive and hard to recognize at a glance.

Also, that damn keyboard dock suck battery dry in a day when I have it slapped on in my backpack to protect the screen. That's inexcusable for an all day Core M tablet's accessory.

Software wise, the drivers are ****. Very unstable for me, especially the graphics driver. It has freaked out on me in the middle of drawing multiple times. Lenovo is quickly losing my trust and confidence.
    Also, the form factor is too small. 11.6" is not big enough for drawing. I think for me, 12.5" is the absolute limit, and 13.3" is my preference limit. I would steer away my students from getting this for drawing.
    I'm definitely not in love. It's OK. I keep going back to my T902. It's heavy, but it's still the best, even with mere 1600x900 res. And when I have to get real serious and connect a Cintiq, I love the fact that a sub 10 second reboot let's me start up another instance of Windows 8 install that has Wacom DTK driver only on it, on a whole separate SSD. I have the best of both world with this set up and I dread the day I have to replace her.

stoneseeker, bloodycape and Bronsky like this.
  6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

You and me both!

I nearly had a heart attack the other day when my T902 decided not to boot on a reset for some reason. I had no clue why it didn't. On the second attempt it booted as norm. But all I could think was, "what the heck is going to replace this???"
    Maaaaaybe a CC2, but it still lacks some of the function that a modular convertible provides.

7. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Creative Cloud is the giant turd dropping of Satan. I'm gonna stick to CS6 as long as I can.

8. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Interesting I noticed another Helix 2 on Craigslist for under $600. Not sure if keyboard is included, but im curious as to why soo many helix 2s are going for cheap in LA area.

9. cookies4you

cookies4you Scribbler - Standard Member

Ashton Kutcher probably threw them in a ditch in LA as a publicity stunt to attract the Hipsters and steal away the iPad artists from Apple.

The ones selling them are probably the Surface peoples who won't part with their beautiful 1.8 lb child.

10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just curious...what prompted this?