BUYER BEWARE! NuVision TM970W510L is an Onda V919 variant which is prone to failure

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade and Tablet PC Deals' started by sonichedgehog360, Mar 6, 2017.

1. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@HJK It's good that you could get used to the desktop version of Kindle. I could not. As to Amazon video, it was excellent in Metro IE. No complaints at all except the lack of download option which Android, iOS, and Fire devices allow. That is actually another deal breaker as I am cellular-only 99% of the time (full-time traveler in a motor home) and too often encounter slow or inconsistent speeds—sometimes even dead zones. Downloading a video eliminates that issue for me.

HJK and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  2. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

thanks for the thread, very interesting to see the process people go through when buying an item like this.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  3. jseger9000

jseger9000 Pen Pal - Newbie

So for those who have had this tablet for a month or so, what do you think of it now? They're still going for $95 on Amazon. I'm thinking of picking one up. For $95 I'm not expecting the world. I mainly want to see how Windows 8/10 runs on a tablet.

But I am worried about the reports of yellow spots appearing on the screen after a short time. Is that common?

4. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

From what I have experienced, this tablet does work well. There is a very high chance of problems. My family had three tablets all with problems. One of those tablets had developed yellowing a week or two into ownership. The other two tablets had issues with either a large amount of dust getting within the display and the battery not charging or being calibrated properly.

I disassembled the last problematic unit and discovered that it had the exact same internal setup as an Onda tablet. Onda tablets, one of the brands of Chinese Windows tablets, are well-known for high defect and failure rates. Experiencing and knowing all these things, I was finally glad to free myself of the problems that I had. To be fair, an Amazon reviewer noted:

This is a steal if you are prepared to deal with some issues if they arise. I dd some research on this model and there can be some quality control problems to watch out for, but so far so good. First one I received was DOA. When I got the second one, I realized the first was previously opened. The second one's box was shrink-wrapped and had the orginal NuVision stickers still intact.​

Source: https://www.amazon.com/NuVision-TM970W510L-Crystalline-Windows-Tablet/dp/B01N20MP8J#customerReviews

That said, all mine came sealed and still eventually had issues. On the bright side, I can confirm that NuVision has a working 800 number that is very responsive. When I first called them about something minor, they immediately offered to RMA my device.

To summarize, my personal experience is this tablet after three purchases is prone to have issues. However, this may or may not be outside of the norm and NuVision's support is ready to help. Knowing what I know, though, I myself would not go to the time or trouble of trying to get a working unit.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    dellaster likes this.
  5. jseger9000

I pulled the trigger last night and ordered one, using Amazon Prime, so I can return it if regret creeps in.

Today I went to Best Buy and saw the Insignia Flex 11.6 tablet. I then found them going for $50.00 on eBay. If the NuVision makes me crazy, I think I'll pick one of these up. It isn't a powerhouse, but neither is the NuVision. Mainly I want to see how Windows 10 works on a tablet/touchscreen.

6. jseger9000

I got the tablet last night, but it looks like it's unusable until Saturday.

I upgraded to Windows 10 and was hit with the touch screen problem. Then I learned that the keyboard case that comes with the tablet is useless out of the box as both the tablet and the keyboard require micro USB, but the cable that comes with the case is USB to micro USB.

Question: If I'd added the TouchSetting.gt while I was still running Windows 8, then upgraded, would the new install have wiped the file? I assumed it would, so I didn't put it in the folder before updating.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  7. jseger9000

If anyone is still thinking of buying one, I did get my tablet to work (the keyboard didn't help at all. I just had to be patient and figure out where to touch on the wonky touchscreen).

Since then, I've been very happy with the tablet. It isn't super powerfull, but it runs very smoothly.

The only time I noticed slowdown was when I attempted to run some poorly optimized desktop software on it (ComicRack). It ran, but I did notice the tablet struggling. There I blame the software. ComicRack has never run especially well on my laptop either.

I'm keeping an eye on the screen and will return it if I notice any of the discoloration mentioned above, but so far so good.

sonichedgehog360 and jbaks like this.
  8. jseger9000

One last update: I've had the tablet almost two months now and it still works fine. I haven't noticed any discoloration of the screen (my biggest concern going in). Updating to Windows 10 was a pain because of the missing file, but the upgrade was worth the pain.

My biggest gripe with the tablet is the battery. It charges slow and I feel like I have to charge it daily for just moderate use. My Lenovo can go a lot longer than that (I would only charge it every two or three days with the same use). I'm not sure if it's because the screen is higher resolution or if the battery just isn't as good (that's my guess).

But hey, at this point the tablet has dropped to $90 on Amazon. It's well worth that, just to see how Windows runs on a tablet.

9. Jay Berger

Jay Berger Pen Pal - Newbie

After reading through this forum I realize that no one here has given much in the way of help to solve the issues that come from upgrading or performing a clean install of Windows 10 for this Tablet.

The #1 issue is that NuVision's website does not have the needed drivers for this Tablet available to download, nor do they provide the needed TouchSetting.gt file that is also needed for the touch screen to work correctly after performing a clean install of Win10.

So I have put together everything that is needed to perform a clean install of Windows 10 or for those that just need the TouchSetting.gt file or the Drivers. It is all in one Zip File ( Note that the instructions are also included in the zip file - please read before proceeding).

I have included an exe file that will install all drivers easily (Made with Driver Genuis 16 software) and also included a Folder of all drivers that are included in the exe program. The TouchSetting.gt file must be manually added to the Windows INF folder (all steps in the Readme text).

Here is everything you need to Fix Driver, Touch Screen Issues, or to do a clean install of Windows 10 for the NuVision 9.7 TM970W510L Tablet

Hope this helps!

-justJay

10. Jay Berger

Jay Berger Pen Pal - Newbie

The Keyboard in the provided case is "Bluetooth" you must "PAIR" it with the tablet. The Micro USB port on the keyboard is to charge the Keyboard.