BUYER BEWARE! NuVision TM970W510L is an Onda V919 variant which is prone to failure

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade and Tablet PC Deals' started by sonichedgehog360, Mar 6, 2017.

1. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I might agree had I been doing an objective review or something. But what I've done is:
    1. Desired a smallish tablet with a great screen and 3:4 aspect ratio for media consumption. Specifically Kindle ebook reading, Amazon Prime Video, and web browsing. Anything else (e.g. games) is gravy. I wanted the lowest price possible, of course, as would anyone (unless this would be pocket change for them).
    2. Ooh, lookie lookie! A Windows tablet with a 9.7" iPad Air quality screen! For only $95!! I could save a bundle! Could that do it? Let's try!
    3. Darn it, it totally fails one-third of my requirements. I didn't realize that even the Windows 8.1 Kindle app was defunct. My bad. The Amazon Video won't download on Windows, but I expected that downside.
      • Also, the battery charging and endurance times suck more than my Fujitsu Q584 10.1" with its 2560x1600 screen (it can get ten hours at times). A LOT worse than I allowed for--I mean, it was a $299 tablet originally, right? What's with this? I could live with it for a $95 tablet, but see #3.
    4. Hm, this means all Windows tablets are out. Drat! And I dislike Android & Google. Double-drat! It's going to have to be iPad? Really? That's going to cost!! :(
    5. I bite the bullet and buy a used iPad (it's on its way) and the NuVision is packed up and ready for dstraussing.
    Ta-da! That's my process. Am I an idiot? Yes, yes, I know that, you don't have to rub it in. But, for me, the comparison shopping came down to this. :oops:

sonichedgehog360 and Kumabjorn like this.
  2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Welcome! As a senior member here as well, thank you for your thoughts. Actually, this tablet was (1) once sold at a relatively high release price of $300 in 2015 (2) by a US company (NuVision) who (3) sells many other tablets besides this one at the Microsoft Store (indicating their products meet certain criteria for a high standard of excellence) which (4) have been positively received there and at Amazon. All these factors suggested that this deal might have been higher quality than the current price tag indicated. Indeed, we have seen many deals over the years here for quality products at this specific price point before, ones that are one- or two-years-old like this one is, that simply were sold at a deep discount to clear remaining stock. This is specificially why we jumped on this deal because many of us tablet aficionados have seen plenty of deals in the past, where the asking price is far outweighed by the product's capabilities. Of course, this is not always the case but that is also one reason of many why Amazon has a 30-day return policy.

Now, I understand your desire to contribute as well as your need to be heard and feel included, but this should never be at the expense of others. I strongly suggest putting this matter to rest since these posts have been very counterproductive up to this point. By the very nature of your posts, you appear to be trying to repeatedly prove a user wrong instead of trying to further contribute any valuable information on a subject or just have fun here. I could understand a couple posts but dragging this out this long when he has clearly and thoroughly addressed your concerns three times already and you have yet to explain your thought process in-depth seems to me, at least, like you are merely trying to assert yourself above someone else. Don't get me wrong: there is nothing wrong with wanting to be heard, and we want you to feel included and we have had plenty of snarky, laugh-out-loud posts here. Please! Feel at home! :) However, repeatedly attempting to disprove a specific individual on a matter which already has been sufficiently answered by them and for which you have nothing valuable left to contribute is not disagreeing; it is being disagreeable and disrespectful.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    dellaster likes this.
  3. emdkay

emdkay Pen Pal - Newbie

Lighten up everybody. It's a cheap tablet because it's basically built like junk. That's all.

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Keep it civil....we understand you have an opinion and you've made it - move along

5. sonichedgehog360

Three strikes and you're out! Just as an update, besides my two returns, my brother is now having to return this tablet as well. Just yesterday, his display started developing a very large, 1- to 2-inch yellowing patch which has been increasing in size.

Like the internal teardown photos suggest, the NuVision TM970W510L must be a variant of the V919 3G Air produced for NuVision by Onda, a Chinese manufacturer who is notorious for horrific build quality. Just a refresher, Chris at Tech Tablets ranks Chinese tablets in build quality as so:

Chinese tablet brands in terms of their build quality:
    My own personal experience with these tablet brands, I rank them as follows in terms of build quality:

1. Xiaomi
    2. Cube
    3. Teclast
    4. Chuwi
    5. Jumper
    6. Pipo
    7. Voyo / Vido
    8. Onda
    Source: https://techtablets.com/recommended-chinese-tablets-brands/

I updated the thread title and the original post to reflect this information.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    dellaster likes this.
  6. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, fortunately it was an Amazon.com purchase and they provide plenty of reasons for returns. Mine didn't have any particular problem, so I picked "No longer needed" down near the bottom. Which is the truth.
    ReasonForReturn.jpg

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

^What! There is another new reason you can select for returns now, too? :D
    @dstrauss

dstrauss likes this.
  8. emdkay

emdkay Pen Pal - Newbie

So we're shocked that it's garbage for a $95 Windows tablet at the same screen size and resolution as an iPad Air? :rolleyes:

9. sonichedgehog360

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  10. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Re: The Kindle app--I was beyond peeved to learn that they discontinued it, but I've been running the Kindle for PC on my 8'' and 10'' tablets and I've made my peace with it. It's better as a tablet app than it used to be, in some ways better than the old metro/modern/Windows store app. So I wouldn't necessarily give up on all Windows devices because of that.
    As for Amazon video, you can't download and watch or listen to stuff from Amazon offline like you can on an Android device, but you should be able to watch Amazon video in a browser just fine while you're online.
    That doesn't solve your other issues, I know. But, as a big Windows tablet fan, I thought I'd chime in on those two points.

dellaster and sonichedgehog360 like this.