BUYER BEWARE! NuVision TM970W510L is an Onda V919 variant which is prone to failure

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade and Tablet PC Deals' started by sonichedgehog360, Mar 6, 2017.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

BUYER BEWARE!

THERE ARE MULTIPLE REPORTED INCIDENTS OF THIS TABLET HAVING ISSUES WITH BATTERY CHARGING AND SCREEN YELLOWING ONLY A FEW WEEKS INTO OWNERSHIP. FURTHER, TEARDOWNS REVEAL THIS TO BE A VARIANT OF THE V919 3G AIR PRODUCED BY ONDA, A CHINESE COMPANY WITH A BAD REPUTATION FOR BUILD QUALITY.

THE ORIGINAL POST FOLLOWS:

[​IMG]

If you ever wanted a Windows tablet with an iPad Air 2's Retina display and form factor, here's your chance. Amazon has a deal running right now where you can purchase the NuVision TM970W510L for only $94.99 (as of 3/16/2017 at 10:44 PM MST).

Deal link:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N20MP8J/

Recovery image and driver capture:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BzZg_CsOr8kcMFpZSWY4YTNhVjg?usp=sharing

Features include:
    You can bet I ordered one at this low of a price just for the snazzy screen and all the extras! It originally retailed at $299 and was $199 online up until about a month ago. From what I can tell, the best competing devices on Banggood cost $190 and that includes issues of warranty exchange to and from China:
    http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-2048+1536-Windows-Tablet-c-1835-s-1585v14620.html

This will be a perfect reader, light emulator (Dreamcast and below), and test system for Windows Insider builds.

Price history on CamelCamelCamel:
    https://camelcamelcamel.com/NuVision-TM970W510L-Crystalline-Windows-Tablet/product/B01N20MP8J

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    dellaster and Marty like this.
  2. greatg

greatg Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi,

This looks very interesting! Does it support pen input for taking notes? What is the battery life compared to a Surface Pro4?

3. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks, @sonichedgehog360. This will scratch the tech itch for me without hurting the wallet much. :D

I've been eyeing iPads this past week, looking at deals. This will serve just as well as a media consumption tablet, particularly ebooks/PDFs with it's iPad 9.7" screen (4/3 ratio). My Fujitsu Q584 has never been useable for me in portrait orientation due to a 16:10 aspect ratio and wide bezels.

The keyboard case is a nice bonus which will keep it safe from my cat. I won't bother with a screen protector at this price.

I couldn't find any specs on dimensions and weight. Do you know?

Nevermind, found it: 1.12 lbs, 6.75"x9.25"x0.25".

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. dellaster

@greatg — there's no pen input.

The CPU is an old Baytrail Atom Z3735F which is/was more commonly used in Android tablets. Probably fine for videos & web. Looks like they're unsold, outdated tablets that they want to blow out the door. mSD supported, so the 32 GB eMMC is workable. It's Windows 8.1, which I count as a plus for this kind of tablet. Good ol' Metro IE in 4:3 portrait! With its included keyboard case ($35) and 1yr Office 365 Personal subscription ($58 at Amazon) you can't beat this deal.

5. sonichedgehog360

I am glad you found the deal really good. It is pretty obvious DealFisher is doing a fire sale on the leftover stock. I had just happened to notice a sponsored ad listing for this on my Amazon search results when searching for "Windows tablet." It might not be the very best in size and weight, but it is quite comparable with an iPad Air which comes in at 9.45 x 6.67 x 0.30 inches and 1-lb making this a nice Windows tablet iPad clone at a steal of a price.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    dellaster likes this.
  6. dellaster

9.45 x 6.67 x 0.30 inches & 1 lbs — iPad Air
    vs
    9.25 x 6.75 x 0.25 inches & 1.12 lbs...

I doubt anyone could tell the difference in a blind test. Other than being 0.18 lbs heavier, it compares well even with the iPad Air 2:

9.45 x 6.67 x 0.24 inches & 0.96 lbs

Of course balance is also important. Where did they put the weight? And does it get uncomfortably hot while holding. Guess we'll see. Let me know—mine comes via slowboat USPS standard to General Delivery at the local post office since I'm traveling as usual.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    WillAdams and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

None of us have it yet, but it has good ratings at the Evine.com link I shared. I will be posting in a couple days my brief impressions and more in-depth on Saturday evening MST.

8. sonichedgehog360

That is why it is so impressive for the price, unknown weight distribution notwithstanding. It is basically sized as well as an iPad Air 2 (.2" shorter, .08" wider, .01"
    thicker) and should be practically imperceptible in weight if distributed well. I will definitely give you a quick update on weight distribution when I first get it.

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

From their website: "Yes you can upgrade the tablet to Windows 10. Please keep in mind that the last day to get the free upgrade to Windows 10 is July 29, 2016."

Of course there is still the painless 'assistive technology' loophole, but who knows when MS closes that. Still, amazing price if it is half decent quality.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  10. sonichedgehog360

Battery life:

You shouldn't expect Surface 3 battery life from this Windows tablet. This does use a lower-end, lower-clocked processor which has the potential to consume less power.

This: 6000 mAh x 3.7V = 22.2 Wh battery
    Surface 3: 28 Wh battery
    iPad Air: 32.9 Wh battery
    iPad Air 2: 27.62 Wh battery

22.2 Wh [battery for this]
    / 28 Wh [Surface 3's battery]
    * 10 hours [Surface 3's rated battery life]
    = 7.92 hours

Expect 4 to 6 hours battery life in real world use, and 7-8 hours for the "rated" battery life. This could be a bit lower, however, since this uses the iPad Air's screen which consumes 4.8 W ( http://www.displaymate.com/Tablet_ShootOut_3.htm ) while the Surface 3's screen only consumes 3.3 W ( http://www.displaymate.com/Surface3_ShootOut_1.htm ) at full brightness.

JoeS and dellaster like this.