Buyer Beware - Modservice

Discussion in 'Axiotron Modbook' started by wpilot, Apr 10, 2009.

1. wpilot

wpilot Pen Pal - Newbie

I post this as a warning to all who purchase a ModBook through the ModService channel at Axiotron:

So like many people I have been dreaming of the day Apple would produce a Tablet machine. As an artist this seemed like an ideal solution for someone who wants to sketch in coffee shops, on the train to work, or just sitting on the couch.

Axiotron seemed to be the company to fill this need.
    I did much research. Looked over all these Blogs and forums and decided it was something I should do.

Now let me preface this to say I went into this fully eyes open that this is something very unique. You're essentially rendering your machine obsolete in the eyes of Apple techs.

That aside, I have to say my experience in the ModService conversion has been nothing but a mess from start, and I have yet to see the finish.

I sent my machine in for conversion and was impressed initially in the well thought out shipping procedure.

Sent to OWC/Mac Sales in Chicago for what I assumed would be a week process. (I even prepared myself for the process to lapse into 2 weeks to be safe).

Upon drop off at FedEX I find that the shipping label OWC provided was not set up as prepaid. So I phoned - was on hold for 20-30 minutes. Had to hand my cell to FedEx rep and they cleared it up after an hour. This was sent on Feb 26th.

(It is April 10th and I still have not received my machine!)

To summarize my waiting:

OWC had the machine several weeks with little to no answer on the delay. They only would say "something is wrong with the battery".

Several back and forths with OWC they discover the repair is out of their hands and they shipped my (now Apple warranty voided) machine to someplace called Micro Computer Support Services in North Carolina.

MCSS Has the machine several weeks. These guys have been the only saving grace thus far in this labored process. Particularly a repair tech by the name of "Larry" was awesome. Checking in with me daily and even set up a web cam so that I could watch him working on my machine.

Larry was dumbfounded - swapped out several motherboards, batteries, etc. Nothing seemed to work. He was greatly apologetic after working around 2 weeks on it and tells me he has to ship it to Axiotron headquarters in California.

So off goes my machine to LA.

Bear in mind I have been nothing but pleasant and patient this whole time.

I call Axiotron and talk to "Mark Perlstein" Customer Service Rep.

I tell him I'm getting a little impatient with this run around, but willing to give them a chance to fix it. He assures me I will either get my machine back or a brand new machine.

He sent one email on 4/4 apologizing for the delay, they will give me an answer ASAP yadda yadda. No answer from him beyond this.

Larry emails me each day with updates.

I call again on 4/8 checking in - "where are we at?" Mark states we're still looking at it Apple has put some non-standard parts in this machine which can't communicate with the Axiotron screen and software. (This is an Apple refurbished machine BTW) more yadda yadda.

He feels there is still potential for them to repair this machine, but if not they will send me a new base system. Now at this point I'm more than a little stressed. Trying to maintain my cool I try and pin point an answer from him. "I will let you know Friday where we're at and if we'll be sending you your machine or a new one"

Friday comes 2:00pm I send off an email - where are we at? few hours go by - no answer.

So I phone: He now states they still need to work on my machine they are not definite when I can get it. Might extend out another 2 weeks. More than likely not that long but he can't promise anything.

My patience at this point is at an end. I tell him the only person who has been communicative to me through this process is Larry. It is my feeling at this point that Axiotron broke my machine so therefore they bought it and owe me a new one. He states what else can I do send a temp machine? Why work this way? Axiotron is already out their money in repair persons time and shipping back and forth. Make the customer happy at this point! Send out a new machine! Sell mine as a refurb - Tell OWC to eat the cost - I don't care! I'm the customer NOT MY PROBLEM!

I post this as a buyer beware. As artists our lively hood unfortunately resides in having a functioning machine. I haven't been able to do work for over a month.

So just be prepared if you decide to go the route of ModService to convert your personal MacBook. Your machine could potentially be out 2 months or more with no definitive answer as to when you will have it back.

I wish Axiotron would realize there is many holes in this service and if they continue in this way will be out of business very soon.

I will post follow up as soon as I receive a functioning ModBook.

Mark

2. ChewbaccaLincoln

ChewbaccaLincoln Ecologist in study

So i am just going to point this out i have heard from people who just bought one and it toke them a month and a half

3. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

I have had a friend as well buy one and it took them about a month. With most companies it can bit hit or miss, and unfortunately yours was a big miss. Sorry to hear of that.

4. BK_NC

BK_NC Pen Pal - Newbie

wpilot: what was the final resolution to all this. did you ever get your Modbook or another Macbook back?

5. ghb2009

ghb2009 Pen Pal - Newbie

Also, does the whole Modbook idea run afoul of copyright or other laws such as the DMCA?

6. ohana005

ohana005 Pen Pal - Newbie

sorry to hear that:(