Buy tc4200 new or refurbished? ($300 difference with added warranty)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by bryank, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Scott

Scott Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I am looking at buying the tc4200 1.73 ghz / 40 gb model. Do you think the $294 price drop of the factory refurbished model is worth the cost of possibly more frequent issues with the tc4200 (or do you trust hp's refurbishing and the tc4200's durability?)

New: $1,539 + 3 year warrnty($0) ------------> = $1539
    Refurbished: $1,115 + 3 year HP warranty ($130) = $1245
    Difference -----------------------------------> = $294

Which would you go with? Thanks!

(I would actually go with the 3 year next day service for the refurbished for $150 but used the other for comparison)

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm a little confussed, do both include teh 3-year and you'd still come out $300 ahead on the refurb? If so, I'd do that. The biggest concerns about refurbs is their likelihood for future issues. If you can get the 3-year, there's really no reason to avoid it.

3. Scott

Scott Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, both will be covered by a 3 year HP warranty.

4. brezelseppl

brezelseppl Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

a while ago I bought a refurbished IBM notebook for my mother. It's not the fastests (500 MHz etc.), but fast enough for some writing stuff or email, and when I received it looked nearly new (although it must be about 5 years old).
    If I had the opportunity to get a refurbished tc4200, I'd safe the money, too. But in Germany there are only a few internet shops which sell it (new).

5. bryank

bryank Pen Pal - Newbie

I am waiting for a referbished tc4200. The first one that shipped did not have a power supply and the screed was very dim, as dim as my 4 year old omnibook 6000, so it was sent back. I am assuming the the display should be as bright as my new dell lcd display. The one arriving today will be a 1.73, gig of ram, 60hd, dvd burning drive, 3 year onsite with accidental protec. for just over 1400. If configured the same on new mach is over 2200.

b

6. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just keep in mind that the TC4200 and some Fujitsu models do not have the brightest screens in comparison with some notebook models. But you will score big time in battery life.

7. bryank

bryank Pen Pal - Newbie

Several people looked at the screen and it was very hard to read in my office under the tube lights. If the one that arrived today is as dim I will send it back. It is the dim screen on my 4year old laptop that has me looking at a new one, the glare off the over head light was giving me headaches.
    bryan

8. bryank

bryank Pen Pal - Newbie

new one arrived and screen much brighter. Though not as bright as the dell lcd mon. Are all Hp's like this.

Bryan

9. Daring

Daring Moderator

Make sure the ambient light sensor is turned off. That will brighten up the notebook.

10. bryank

bryank Pen Pal - Newbie

Ambiant light sensor likes to enable and disable itself on a whim on off on offf when ever it wants. When placed next to powerbook the whites are not as bright.

Bryan