Buy a 10 year old used Cintiq 24HD or brand new Huion 22 Plus?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Steve B, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

As before, I tried to note that it's a hybrid functionality I'm looking for. I'm not a full time artist or somesuch thing. I probably sit down and do art or pen-based design work 1 full day combined, per week on average. The other days, when I’m working in my office instead of the field, I'm interested in a monitor. The 24HD is obviously overkill for my drawing needs. And yet I'm sure I'd use it for that too. So it definitely needs to work as a monitor. The Huion clearly works as a monitor, and is lightweight and semi-mobile as a drawing tablet. They're both HD.

I admit, this conversation has made me pause about getting the 24HD, and made me ponder if it’s more device than I need. And whether I’d be better served by the Huion because it would be smaller, lighter, and slightly more mobile- both shifting around my office, or possibly from desk to table around the house. I will be drawing and doing pen-work, so that’s 100% of value to me, but not daily, for sure. Perhaps neither. Maybe just an external monitor first, to see what that's like, at far less expense.

Things to think about…. Thanks everyone.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I had an earlier version of the new Huion tech - the Kamvas 13 Pro - it was a great little tablet but I didn't like the widescreen proportions. All Huions come with chemically etched glass and I did prefer the drawing feel of the pen on glass (compared to a slippery Apple Pencil on glass iPad) but brightness is something you need to consider if using it as a monitor - especially compared to the Samsung Oled or similar screen on your driver machine.

The screen reminded me of the much larger Dell Canvas 27 I briefly owned - I absolutely loved that screen but 27 inches was too much real estate for me to have unless I had a very specific desk and office. One more thing - you don't want to be moving a very large screen very often - whether the Wacom you're looking at or the new Huion. If portability around the office is a big thing - go Huion.

And to throw a spoiler in - if you have time to wait for more deals - wait and buy a used Huion 24 4K pro when they start hitting the used market. As I said in a previous post, Huion and XP-Pens don't hold resale value well and you'd get an amazing deal.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    Lilawyn likes this.
  3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Accidentally originally posted this is a different thread about the desk setup I'm working on, but wanted to share it here--

Well, I bought the Huion 22 plus and gave it a go, but I'll be returning it. The screen is very nice, but I had issues keeping pressure sensitivity running. I was repeatedly having to reinstall the driver, which got old quick. Had some skipping and intermittent pen-input lag too, etc. I also draw with a very light touch, and the IAF wasn't as low as I desired for art. It was nice enough, and perhaps I could have got it rolling eventually with some time, investigation, or help from Huion. But then I was able to purchase a basically new 22hd for 300$ cash off of Craigslist.

I love it. LOVE it.

I was practically gushing about it to my wife last night. It's early days yet, the honeymoon of course, but, to me, it's one of the best tech purchases I've ever made, easy. Yes, it's bigger, but it feels FANTASTIC to draw on. I'm excited to try it out with some felt nibs. I love the IAF, the buttons, etc. Screen is more than bright enough for me as a secondary monitor.

Of course, it could break, or suffer from the critical failure some folks reported, where the screen goes blank, etc. But at this price point, used, I don't care. It's gorgeous and I've never enjoyed drawing digitally so much. Tactile feedback with the pen is very important to me, being able to use a light touch too, and buttons as well!!! Yay! :) LOL.

I'll share some pics of my new setup soon. I got a used adjustable standing desk, used nice ergonomic desk chair, a Thinkpad keyboard, and the used Cintiq. All for about 1000$. An easy trade off for getting a new Surface Laptop Studio. I'm a happy boy.

4. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Congrats on your new purchase! Wacom is probably still king after all. And a Cintiq 22HD for 300$:eek:? Holy cow that's cheap.

Actually Wacom was more durable on the bulky and heavy devices of the old days so your purchase should be considered safer. Most of their recent complains was around their attempts at mobile workstation (Cintiq companion and MSP ), or thin light devices with laminated display ( Cintiq pro 16 discoloration) --> seriously they should get help from Samsung with that.

Steve B and thatcomicsguy like this.