Buy a 10 year old used Cintiq 24HD or brand new Huion 22 Plus?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Steve B, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I would dare say @darkmagistric already said it all.
    Aside from being a 30kg beast, the display on that thing has never been particularly good, not even when it came out and it's still something from an era ago tech wise.
    Not only it is grainy and generally awful for current standards, being so old means it could die on you any day.
    Huion might not have the absolute best pen tech out there, but it's progressed year over year to the point where now it has its own flavour of 4k tablet displays. It's a reliable manufacturer and, honestly, I considered several times in this year to get a small form factor pc along with a large huion tablet instead of a tablet pc. :)

Lilawyn, darkmagistric and Steve B like this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

There was a touch model of the 24HD. Maybe the one you're looking at is secretly one of those. 'DTK' v 'DTH' is the key to look for on the model number. "H" meaning it's touch-capable. That'd be cool, but probably not likely. You have to wonder how good it would be, anyway.

I didn't realize you were going to be running it off your Flex. That might indeed create some driver hassles.

Really, the biggest concern for me would be, "Where do I put it?" Even if I retired my current desk screen, I think I'd need to get new furniture to accommodate it.

Azzart's being overly pessimistic. Wacom tanks were engineered to last. It'll go to the dump still working, I bet.

The low resolution and color specs weren't why I retired my 21UX. It was obviously low-res, but I always found it easy to go with the illusion that monitors are good at delivering image-wise. It never stopped me from getting good stuff done on it. The real reason I upgraded was that I found myself with ready cash and I'd been itching for years to buy a New Shiny Device after slumming it with 100% used gear since 2004. So my main excuses were that there was a bruise on the screen and that it lacked touch.

So I suppose you have to ask yourself...

What are your core reasons for wanting a big drawing board? Do you want something practical and good enough for work, or something nerdy and totally awesome but which needs a huge desk and probably safety boots for when you move it?

(When I got my snazzy upgrade, I donated the old Cintiq to the library rather than trying to sell it on eBay to try to get back my $200. They have it up and running today in their public computer lab. They operate on donations and grants, and still thank me from time to time. I've never seen anybody actually using it, but they tell me it's been popular with a few kids.)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    Lilawyn and Steve B like this.
  3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Well, I definitely don’t have issues with having a large enough desk. The table I’m currently using is 3 feet deep in 5 1/2 feet wide, more than large enough for the device even if it is 30 inches wide. I don’t particularly have an issue with something being heavy. I am a contractor my profession, and 60 pounds is just the weight of a bag of concrete.

It would be nice, of course, if it were light enough that I could move it around the house. Maybe use it in the kitchen connected to my laptop or some such thing. That actually had been a hope of mine with the Huion screen, since I have two thunderbolt USB-C ports on my galaxy book flex. However, research indicates that although you only need one cable to connect to your laptop, you can’t actually power it through that USB-C port yet. So I would still have to plug it into the wall. That made the Huion screen slightly less appealing to me. If I could just plug it into my laptop without having to power it from the wall, I would get one for sure. The benefits of portability would be very great then. But as it is, how much am I really going to move it around if I still have to plug it into the wall? Any more than I would move around the HD 24? Probably not really.

I may try and check out both of them. I’m sure I can sell the HD24 on craigslist or eBay. It’s a nice device. And if I get the Huion screen I can just return it to Amazon if I don’t like it.

Lilawyn and thatcomicsguy like this.
  4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

get the wacom first then, if you buy the Huion first then the Wacom might go in the meantime. Anyhow, I know this might not be popular but that Wacom remains a highly capable monitor - there's a reason the previous owner kept it so long. 2nd hand Huions and XP-Pens drop like lead on the resale market by comparison.

A final word - you don't draw with the monitor - you draw with the pen and Wacom's pens are still the standard to be judged against.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If you don't mind me asking, are you sure you've thought out the desk setup you're aiming for? It's just these two products seem in completely different categories to me, ergonomically and in practical drawing experience.

The 24HD would require devoting your entire desk setup to maximize its use. I would go for it if you like having large bezels to rest your arms while drawing, and large stable base to draw on.

The 22 Plus would be for if you do more wrist-supported drawing or want to occasionally change drawing positions (either shifting between rooms or going stand to desk).

As alluded to in my previous post, the ergonomics are tricky to get right for a desktop drawing setup. I think all the talk about screen-quality and specs should only be had after you've made sure the mechanics are suited to how you draw. Maybe you could construct a few mockups with cardboard or spare boards, just to build a clearer physcial goal for your workspace.

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Sorry but... "Wacom" and "engineered to last" in the same sentence? Are you sure we're talking about the same company? :D
    I lost count of the friends and simple passersby whose overpriced cintiq died suddenly without any apparent reason. And wacom makes paying with a kidney for repairs.

I still consider the Cintiq Companion and Cintiq 27 the worst pieces of tech I have bought in all these recent years.
    Worst company ever, I'm so glad I don't need to buy one of their products anymore.
    They still have the courage to sell a years old 16" mobilestudio for almost FOUR THOUSAND dollars.
    I'm glad that company is getting less and less relevant over the years.

Lilawyn and Eltos like this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

Well, there have been definite eras of Wacom. The 21UX line were fantastic, and the 24HD comes directly on the heels of that period; I didn't hear any stories about them being lemons. Their portables by contrast came with a lot of horror stories, (probably because Wacom was also trying to build actual computers rather than just straight monitor hardware. That's a big step up into some complicated areas. I'm not surprised that they ended up backing off from it.)

I didn't realize the 27 QHD was part of the fall, though. That's too bad. -But I benefited, I think. My Dell Canvas looks like the direct descendant from that model, and it's solid. Plus Dell knows monitors and how to make the manufacturing side sing. Being a huge company helps, I'm sure.

I wonder how the latest "Pro" line is stacking up.

Lilawyn likes this.
  8. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

My Dell Canvas is going strong too, no complaints at all.

I think I got one of earliest units too, I pre-ordered it immediately and it arrived much earlier than expected. I was kind of shocked that there was no mention of any real users unboxing or reviewing it anywhere online for weeks. Or maybe so few of them actually sold...

9. thatcomicsguy

I feel a bit bad for Dell. For some reason, that mystery stuff needed to put a company into the public mind (or a band or artist) just didn't gel for them despite their having put their all into this piece of hardware. Sales just didn't sparkle and nobody cared so they dropped it.

I think if they'd stuck with it and put out a range of models, really committed to the product with more aggressive advertising, it would have made a difference...

But it's not Dell's focus, and never was. They were trying to sell it the same way they were used to with their regular corporate clients, not the arts and animation community. It didn't feel cool or specific, and let's face it, new artists are 75% anime-hypnotized waifsters hopelessly under the thrall of perpetual groupthink and pretty things with Apple logos. Dell is like wearing your Dad's shirt to school. Har har!

Anyway.., I just noticed that there are a bunch of open box units on eBay, shipping from Germany, selling for $1866 (CAD).

10. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Looking through Ebay listing brought quite a lot of old interesting Wacom gears. Especially old Wacom for business unit, they could be found for a lot cheaper than the cintiq brand.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/334138104414?hash=item4dcc2eda5e:g:GSQAAOSwdoNhNUFm
    275$ 22 inch 1080p:eek: (edit: not IPS), but 512 pressure level
    I even found several DTF-720 units for 40$, but the resolution are too low to be useful in 2021.

I actually found a local deal of a DTH-2242 for 420$, but it looked too good to be true...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021