Buy a 10 year old used Cintiq 24HD or brand new Huion 22 Plus?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Steve B, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

OK. So I am looking to buy a large scale drawing tablet/monitor. I’m not a full-time artist, but I do landscape design and I currently do all of it on my galaxy book Flex. I design a lot using the pen, I screen share during zoom and do pen-based design work with clients, plus I do some personal digital artwork. But I also want a monitor that I can use in general with my laptop for better posture. I have the opportunity to get a used 10-year old Wacom 24HD for 500$ or a new Huion 22 Plus for 550$ from Amazon, and I'm looking for input.

Research indicates the Huion 22 plus is a better screen. Afaik, better color gamut, brightness, etc, and also has etched glass and a newer (improved) pen. They even have felt nibs, so I'm sure the tactile experience is better than in the past. Plus it stays cool and quiet, and is lighter if (for some reason?) I want to move to a different table, etc. I mean, the Huion weighs 8 or 9 lbs, and the Cintiq is like 30 or 40 lbs or soemthing, right? No touch input, but that's the same on the 24HD. And the resolution is 1900 x 1080, basically the as the cintiq.

Of course, Wacom is wacom and the 24HD seems drool-worthy to me. With it, I'm assuming I get a stellar (unrivalled?) pen experience. Plus I get bezel buttons, which, in general, I love. So, as a drawing experience, I'm sure it's better. And it comes with the Ergo Stand, which seems like a positive. But there must be negatives? Does the screens get hot? Is the fan noisy after a few hours work? Is brightness low, etc?? Of course, it's gigantic. And it would be old. Which makes me pause, for a device that's 500$. Of course, LOL, perhaps buying an older device means all the malfunctioning ones have been weeded out??

Is this an obvious choice, and I should get the old 24HD? Does it work as a monitor as well? Or are there known issues with it?

2. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

If Amazon has free return option, your best bet would be trying out the Huion yourself. As you mentioned, it's much lighter so it would be easier on the shipping and setting up.

Different people have different standards when it come to pen input. I own some XP-Pen and Gaomon with one of the best setting (battery free, laminated screen,tilt enabled etc), both are pretty good: drawing with no line wobble, clean line output, but has some slight difference: XP-Pen pressure curve is a bit firmer than Gaomon and not as good for sketches, but line art is cleaner.

They are still all good for drawing, but still have some quirks (that I can't really put my hand on) that make it different from Samsung Android Wacom offering. While I prefer pen input on my Samsung the most, I'm not sure if it's because Wacom EMR or the higher res screen on smaller screen with laminated display that make the experience closer to paper. ( while Huion/XP-Pen/Gaomon has laminated display but they still preserve some glass thickness to keep the screen from being discolored when press over)

Because the24HD was low res for its size and has air gap, the feeling would probably be no where near the Samsung Android or ultraportable Penabled laptop so it's hard to recommend and entirely up to your standard.

Steve B likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oh, get the Wacom for sure! (That's like asking if you should get an old Ferrari or a new Kia.)

If you get the Huion, you'll spend the rest of your days wondering if you made the right choice...

As much as I've griped about Wacom, their gear is just so top of the mountain, it's not even a contest.

When I got my first 21UX, they were 10 years old, and mine was a dinged up junker, but I loved it and felt like the king of the world! It was a joy to draw on.

The HD24 is an absolute beast, and it was $4000 new in the day, but every illustrator was drooling over it. -Plus you'll get that awesome stand, (which was revolutionary at the time), allowing you to lower the screen below desk height. It ought to do wonders for posture. That Microsoft Surface Studio famous hinge might not exist today without Wacom going there first.

Anyway, for $500, it's a great way to experience a serious Wacom flagship, best of the best, from 10 years ago. -And unlike a Ferrari, it will probably work as well today as it did new without the need for an oil change and replacement spark plugs.

Huion is for broke art students and people who don't mind tragically nearly-good-enough engineering. Don't do that to yourself, please!

Anyway.., if you decide you don't like it, (or you can't fit it on your desk), you can always sell it again and get your $500 back.

(I hope I saw and answered your post soon enough.)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    doobiedoobiedum and Steve B like this.
  4. Steve B

Does anyone know if there will be any driver conflicts installing the Wacom drivers for the Cintiq on my Samsung Galaxy Flex? I don't currently run any drivers outside of Windows Ink, but as my device is Wacom and the Cintiq is Wacom, I thought there might be issues linking two devices running different EMR pens?

I do have the 15.6" model, so I suspect is more than capable of driving the monitor. I don't see that as an issue.

edit- also, you're both right. I can easily sell/return either one. The Huion can go back to Amazon without a hitch, and I know the Wacom would find a home if it wasn't right for me.

For the Wacom, I have to get a power supply and a pen. I want to try the Art Pen, for what it's worth. But the cost of those two is included in my 500$ total.

5. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh, I just found that the Cintiq 24HD was 1920x 1200 at 16:10, that already made it a better buy. Looks like the weight with stand included is around 64 pounds though, so you might need to check the weight capability of your desk.:D

6. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The stand alone and the good it'll do for your posture is worth the choice alone and even if it's an older machine, the resolution is better than on the brand new Huion.

Only thing to watch is for whispery light drawing marks on the screen after 10 years use.

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

To be honest, I don't feel the Cintiq 24HD, even for $500 would be a good investment. When it came out it was the drawing device of everyones dreams, but that was about a decade ago. Even though its resolution may be somewhat on par with the Galaxy Book Flex, scaled up to 24-inches, it will look low res. Also with those older Cintiq Models , although they were sufficient for the time, compared to todays standards they have pretty abysmal color quality. And you won't have touch gestures (unless its the elusive touch model) and the glass will likely be thicker so Parallax will be a thing, and I do recall the 24HD did have a kind of grain which affects overall image quality and clarify (more of an issue if you use it as a semi general monitor). I had a Cintiq 21UX that I kind of retired for all those reasons. The lack of touch was the main reason, but overall it was just a subpar overall drawing experience. The pen itself was great, but everything in regards to the monitor aspect did not age well. Like If I had to choose between drawing on the Cintiq 21ux or my Galaxy Book 10.6, I'd grab the galaxy book without any hesitation.

But with that 24HD, that thing is big and massively heavy, so once you have it, good luck getting rid of it. My 21ux was more around 20 pounds and that was annoying at is, at 64 pounds, no thank you.

Lilawyn and Azzart like this.
  8. Steve B

I appreciate hearing all of these different opinions. It’s helpful. I suppose I would frame the question this way—
    I already have a galaxy book flex 15.6 inch, and I have $500 now to spend. I’d like to get an external monitor for more ergonomic computing, and it would be nice if there was a way to have a larger drawing screen than I already have. Given those constraints, what are my options?

So far, as far as I can tell, I only see these two screens as my options in this budget range. Of course, I could just continue to draw on my laptop and get an external monitor that would be a higher res better monitor. That’s an option. But I was hoping for more room for drawing and pen-focused work.

also, I suppose it’s worth noting that I can also pick up the Cintiq 21ux for even less than 24 HD model. Resolution is basically the same, and it has a rotatable 4:3 aspect ratio, which would be nice for verían applications, I’m sure.

Regarding touch input— of course I like it, but I don’t find it essential. Particularly for models that have side buttons. I really like the ergonomics of a physical button to press.

Thoughts?

Lilawyn and Eltos like this.
  9. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Huion.
    That Cintiq is good for a museum.

Lilawyn, darkmagistric and Eltos like this.
  10. Steve B

All right, you got to give me more information than that if you’re going to have such a provocative opinion. ;) Can you expand on your thoughts?