Business Slate

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by nheel, Dec 5, 2010.

1. nheel

nheel Scribbler - Standard Member

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

~$1000

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

Yes, but would prefer new

3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?

Slate

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • Small and light ~ 5" to 8.9"
    • Compact ~ 10"
    • Mainstream ~ 12.1"
    • Large ~ 13.3"
    Compact to Mainstream

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from?

USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

None

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

5-10

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Marking up PDF’s, PowerPoints, Word, doing some light excel work, on top of media consumption (websites, email, videos)

9. Do you have an OS preference?

Windows 7

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

Office (OneNote, PowerPoint, Excel, Word)

10. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Maybe, but nothing specific comes to mind

Screen Specifics

1. What resolution do you prefer?
    • XGA - 1024x768 ~ large and easy to read text and graphic icons but you fit less on the screen.
    • SXGA - 1400x1050 ~ Small text and graphic icons which require good vision but the gain is a much larger screen. (no longer available new, must look for used or refurbished machines)
    • WXGA - 1280x768 ~ has a wider usable area than XGA, ideal for viewing Spreadsheets and other programs that require desktop space. The mainly used resolution for new tablet PCs since 2008.
    None

2. Do you require the screen to be readable in sunlight?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

No

3. Do you prefer your display to be glossy or matte?

None, is there one that is preferable for inking? Inking would be my primary use

4. Do you require Touch? (without pressure sensitivity) (Which one: resistive or capacitive)

Yes, touch is required

5. Do you require a Pen? (with pressure sensitivity) (Which one: Wacom or N-Trig)

Yes, I don’t have a preference of Wacom v N-Trig, which is better for inking?

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?

No requirements (although I guess 64GB would be a minimum) I could use an external drive that I have

2. Do you require an Optical (CD/DVD) Drive to be built in?
    No

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?

No, just USB

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    I really want this to be a good inking slate, and one that can handle Excel macros well, as well as light and easy to use for web browsing or other casual things

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    My purchase is not time sensitive, so if there are some great looking ones on the horizon (CES) then I could wait

2. Krelian

Krelian All about the T5010/T900

You know, you really sound to me like you're looking for an HP Slate 500.
    I think the only thing that doesn't perfectly mirror what you're looking for is the screen size (8.9" instead of 10"-12.1").
    Also, I'd say technically inking is better with a Wacom digitizer but word is the N-Trig in the HP Slate is most definitely usable.
    I'd definitely recommend taking a look in the HP Slate 500 sub-forum.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yep, the HP 500 sounds right for you.

As to Inking, well from what I have heard, The N-trig digitizer on the Slate 500 is as good as the best performing Wacom ones out there. Also because of the size/ weight of the Slate 500 you are able to use it very very comfortably as a digital note pad (and then easily transport it because of its smaller size and weight. Because those 10-12" screens actually have a 1-2" bezel making them 14" diagonal, and them being thick and heavy, which requires you to put it in a laptop sleeve or a large laptop bag; and it can get tiring)

so things that might at first seem like disadvantages are actually big advantages.

Plus you get a bunch of nifty accessories with the Slate 500 (a sort of case "folio", the dock, the pen, and I think some other things) so you don't have to go buying more accessories for it later; you get it all at once.

4. Dev_00

Dev_00 Pen Pal - Newbie

The HP 500 carries an Atom processor, which I've been trying to avoid and isn't great for even slightly intensive use, so I've been looking at the Asus models. I'm not positive if Asus has officially announced the EP121 slate, which supposedly uses a Ultra Low Voltage Core 2 Duo processor and should have a 12" screen, but that was the one I was waiting for. Earlier today, I stumbled upon a possible i5 based Asus slate, but even the article states that it's based on a rumor. Either way, the specifications you're looking at seem to be pretty consistent with what I'm looking for and Asus seems to be the closest to putting it to market. I've just been casually looking, so someone else might have a better informed opinion. As well, I've never actually used the Atom processor in the HP 500 slate, so someone else may have a better idea of how adequate it is for the needs you specified.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've inked rather extensively on the Slate over the last 5 days and while the inking experience is pretty good it's not as good as the tm2 overall. The N-trig digitizer just seems a little quirkier and the Atom CPU while pretty capable in driving inking it simply isn't as fast as the Core 2 Duo CULV in my original version of the tm2.

That said the Slate has its advantages because of its much lighter mass and its thinness, the Slate is much nicer to ink on a desk laying flat because it's only .5 inch thick. My inking video should give you a pretty good idea of the experience: YouTube - HP Slate 500 Inking Review

6. nheel

I've had my eye on the Slate 500, but wanted to see if there are any other options out there. The Asus tablet does look intriguing though. If more people come out with positive reviews of the Slate 500 though, I may have to go ahead and pull the trigger with that.

The only thing making me hesitate is heartlessun's reviews saying that the pen does go in and out sometimes, with false clicks and etc.

7. Krelian

Krelian All about the T5010/T900

Thanks heatlesssun, I was going to point out that we have a couple members that have received their HP Slates and have reported the N-Trig and be a little twitchy.
    Definitely not as good as the best Wacom digitizers but still quite usable.

8. nheel

The troubles with the N-Trig are actually starting to worry me, I've watched your inking review (but your update that I've also seen is no missing), but I didn't get a glimpse of the "twitchyness" that you and others have reported.

I was wondering if you could go into more detail about this, maybe the rate of occurrence, and how/if it affects your writing.

I plan on taking lots of notes on this, and don't want to have to be erasing and re-writing things a lot due to false clicks or missed strokes.

Thanks for all your help though, you've been extremely helpful in this process to say the least.