Business/School Laptop w/ USB-C?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Theme57, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget?

$1500, but would prefer around $1000

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

Yes

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

No

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 10 to 13-inches
    • Above 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

None

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

6 - 8 hours minimum, 10+ hours preferred, but not required.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

School use primarily.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

Windows.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

Clip Studio Paint and Photoshop. Microsoft Office and Python.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

Natively don't care, but needs to support a Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro at 4K through USB-C

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Outdoors, but mostly in a classroom. Anti-Glare would be helpful, but is not a requirement.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

Min 8GB RAM with the option of an m.2 or SSD.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

full-size USB, and USB-C capable of 4K. HDMI would be nice, but is not required.

Misc

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

The laptop will be used as a primary school device for notes, typing up papers, learning python and other business/school minded tasks. I want USB-C so I can hook up a Wacom 24 Pro through USB-C at home. Storage isn't an issue on the laptop as I export data to an external drive over keeping it on the laptop. Battery life is a bit thing for me when I am out and about. At home I will have it hooked up to a dock in a multi monitor setup.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  2. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@Theme57 look no further than Thinkpad L380 Yoga (I'd recommend a 8250U or 8550U model with Fingerprint reader & world-facing camera options, yet 8GB RAM and smaller SSD - you can add RAM up to 32GB and replace the SSD yourself easily much cheaper later on. It has both 4K@60Hz USB-C and 4K@30Hz HDMI, and should cost you around $1000 without upgrades. Note that it doesn't have TB3.

3. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

Great suggestion! I can't seem to find if the RAM is user replaceable or soldered on. Wacom AES is a big pro too. I don't care for TB3 so long as it can run a Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro. Spec wise it looks really nice!

4. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@Theme57 RAM is upgradeable up to 32GB, unlike most other machines - hence my suggestion to get 8GB version; Lenovo will charge a lot more for RAM increase than it's worth, so adding a 16GB stick yourself for 24GB total is a much better start. It's a perfect machine unless you want things like TB3 & LTE modem (X380 Yoga, X1 Yoga) and 500 cd/m2 display (X1 Yoga HDR option) - but those are much more expensive and limited to 16GB soldered RAM.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018