Build 9926 (January Preview) Out

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jhoff80, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

From what I see, with hamburgers and removal of pivots, panoramas and charms Windows 10 is looking more like android than the unique OS's I chose years ago. Not my cup of tea at all.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Actually on the phone front I mostly lament the loss of style and uniqueness, but nothing I see there causes me to think that the move to WP10 will cause major loss in convenience. So I'll take the hamburgers and stick with WP10 for the Nokia camera magic alone.

On the tablet front though, I currently use the edge swipe gestures every few minutes. It's just so natural and convenient. I really don't want to lose that aspect, but it looks like I might. I still have some hope though that there will be a toggle to enable 'edge swipe to switch apps' in tablet mode.

3. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't understand why MS would eliminate swipes--simply make them an option. Don't repeat a Windows 8 Start menu-like fail.

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I assume the thinking is: "maximum consistency = minimal confusion". That said, I really hope that they keep options available for power users / tablet addicts.

5. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Exactly. Having favored tablets in Win 8/8.1 to the detriment of laptops/desktop PCs and the Windows Desktop/Start menu, let's not flip, now, the other way--but, rather, end up in the middle, with the best for both worlds, which is what Win 10 is trying to be. Jettisoning the good doesn't accomplish that--again, witness the Windows 8/8.1 Start menu fiasco.

Mesosphere likes this.
  6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Well, the future it's clearly moving towards tablets so I doubt they will return to a pure desktop based OS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.