Build 9926 (January Preview) Out

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jhoff80, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Mesosphere and jhoff80 like this.
  2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So in 8.1, they have this really nice feature, where you look at your OneDrive folder or OneDrive app, and it shows all the files that exist there. You can search any of those files, even if they're not downloaded to your computer, etc. In 10, they've reverted to a Dropbox-style selective sync, so if you don't have a folder downloaded to your computer, it's like it doesn't exist. On top of that, there's no app version of OneDrive any more either. File explorer is the only way to use it, which is pretty terrible on a tablet.

There's a number of reasons they've given for the downgrade, but the biggest one is that they wanted OneDrive and OneDrive for business to start using the same sync engine, so that meant the feature had to go. They claim that they'll be trying to bring back some use cases for it, but the feature is gone for good. So I can't browse my online storage at all without logging in to the website... something that is kind of ridiculous.

As for the Spartan engine Kumabjorn mentioned, I have it enabled, and haven't noticed much of a difference. I guess the benchmarks are higher and it's more compatible (and supports more standards such as HTTP Live Streaming apparently), but the big thing having to do with compatibility is that sites think it's Chrome now as it fakes that user agent. But yeah, haven't really noticed a difference. I'm just waiting to see what the Spartan UI looks like. So far, I haven't seen a browser interface as good for touch (on any platform) as Metro IE's, but I doubt they're going to continue from there.

Mesosphere likes this.
  3. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Doesn't IE presenting itself as chrome introduce the same problems as on WP where you are prompted to download android apps and fake virus scanners? I personally hate this new found love for impersonating (and looking like) google products and hope its stopped. And wont that skew browser share numbers against IE?

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I'm using the Spartan Rendering Engine, it has improved speed and haven't run into any issues so far....

5. jhoff80

Haven't seen anything like that on Windows 10 yet. The problem is that so many websites code specifically for Chrome (formerly WebKit, now Blink) instead of standards. They also assume that anything non-WebKit can't handle features. The former is fixed by IE having a sort of translator for those Chrome-specific calls. And for the latter, just by identifying as Chrome, many sites give you a far better version of their sites. Just look at these differences in Gmail (image taken from Neowin):
    [​IMG]

6. jhoff80

Hadn't noticed how badly snap is ruined until tonight either.

I wanted Tweetium to be snapped at all times.

First of all, the old 320px Snap view is gone, even though Tweetium supports it. That means more of my screen can’t be use by other apps. But I knew that one already.

What I discovered tonight, when I opened new apps and switched to other apps in Windows 8.1, I could select whether I wanted it to replace one app or both apps. On Windows 10, any time you open a new app in tablet mode, it fills the screen. Any time you switch to an app, it fills the screen. And on top of that, every time I re-snap Tweetium back in place, it starts out at a 50/50 split instead of where it was before. It’s really dumb behavior compared to something that was previously very smart. It meant far more manual window management than should be necessary on a tablet.

Unrelated, I also realized a few days ago how much I really miss Semantic Zoom. It'd be especially useful in the photos app so I can scroll by date.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  7. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's depressing how bad the Tablet experience is at the moment in Windows 10. I hope that it will improve, but honestly, Microsoft has ripped so much out that I am beginning to doubt it.

jhoff80 and metalsiren like this.
  8. jhoff80

Also I think they might be filtering out my feedback at this point. :D

The last few I've put in, despite sending me to the 'thank you' screen after sending them, haven't been showing up in "Most Recent". I guess after 50 or so complaints, they stop listening. ;)

9. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The way things are going I might just stick with Windows 8 on my phone and PC's.

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I might do the same. The concessions made in Win 8.1 make it perfectly viable as a desktop OS, and the main thing that got me interested in Win10 (return of the app-specific recent documents fold out menus) has been taken out again. So far the only things I'd like to have are Cortana and the unified notifications across devices. Who am I kidding, once it's out upgrade fever will probably get the better of me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.