Build 9926 (January Preview) Out

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jhoff80, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Huh, is that Continuum category new? I'm nearly positive it wasn't there even this afternoon.

2. jhoff80

Also, there's something weird about tiles on the start screen in this version. I haven't quite been able to figure out what the change is yet, but something is causing the text on certain tiles to overlay on top of the tile's photo and make the text impossible to read in a way that didn't happen in 8.1. Example:

Screenshot (1).png

Like I said, can't quite put my finger on it, but this is a regression from 8.1.

Mesosphere likes this.
  3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

It is a known issue in this Build, a fix is supposed to be released in the future....

jhoff80 likes this.
  4. AveSharia

AveSharia Scribbler - Standard Member

Gave it the old college try, but I had to roll back... The January build broke my Wacom driver's button assignments. Painting is the one thing I have to use the tablet for, so looks like my test run is over. :/

5. jhoff80

The thing about the feedback app is that there is so much useless noise that I wonder if any of the actual signal is getting through.

Just an example from trending, there's a piece of feedback that literally only says "I, too, would love this feature" and it has 4 me toos. How is anything quality supposed to come from that when there's so much garbage to sift through? I mean, I've probably posted like 30 or 40 different things to them by now, but I wonder how much of that will really make any difference. (And of course I'm not saying that I'm the only one with good feedback, but with 1.5 million people trying the previous build, and I'm sure even more on this build, it's hard for anything to stand out from the nonsense).

Anyway, I'm still finding tablet mode to be really bad right now. Pretty much everything I do I see new behavior that's worse. Having to use a desktop sized file picker. Opening a link from Nextgen and having it appear as a fullscreen window (whereas on 8.1, it would snap the app to a column and then put the browser window right next to it, which made far more sense). The tiny start button in the corner as opposed to the charm. DLNA Play To support no longer in new apps (not including legacy WinRT apps that still have the legacy charms feature in their top left menu). No more 'share a screenshot'. The taskbar being present. The tiny "All apps" button that doesn't even work right away. Apps not suspending. The whole Onedrive fiasco (god I miss placeholders). And the Wifi connection workflow is now absolutely ridiculous when they had previously nailed it (for tablets at least). Apparently they must've fired anyone who ever had a halfway decent idea about Windows 8 and tablet use.

I'm not saying 8.1 was perfect either. I've left plenty of feedback about things that are unchanged from 8.1 too (like as an example, the onscreen keyboard should be context sensitive and remember what mode to put up based on screen orientation and whether I'm using pen or touch to bring it up). But to go this far backwards from something that worked really good, that takes a special kind of talent. The disconcerting part is that who knows if anyone at MS even cares, with how eager they are to bend backwards and appease W7 users. But still, I'll keep using it and keep sending feedback and hopefully new preview builds end up improving.

(I will say this though, the previous build was at a level where I couldn't even think of using it as my main OS, and this one is usable, even if I hate a lot of it).

kvad and gcoupe like this.
  6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Maybe we should have our own thread dedicated to highlighting feedback posted among us to increase the number of "me toos" they get and hopefully get noticed more easily.

Haven't had much oppertunity to play with the feedback feature or W10 generally yet, but is there a way to link directly to feedback we post so that other TPCR users can easily "me too" it?

7. jhoff80

Nope, no way to link to feedback. There's not really a way for a user to look at their own feedback (to add more details or anything) either, other than remembering each one and searching for it again. (And I've left that as feedback too, but forget how I phrased it. :D )

8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

They way the team is filtering is through Azure Machine Learning, at least through my interactions they are receiving actionable feedback.

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

The most disheartening in that respect was the list of features MS claim to have implemented in response to user feedback. The list was short and unambitious. Summarized:

1. Added more languages
    2. Added progress bar for preview build downloads
    3. Merged alt-tab view with task switcher view
    4. Support Persian calendar
    5. Pick default folder for Explorer
    6. Added a 'go to full screen' button
    7. Fixed caps-lock key lighting

Only changes 3 and 6 are the type of change that is needed, except a LOT of such changes are needed. Based on this list I kind of fear that we're not going to see many big UI updates. I would love to be proven wrong though, because for now neither desktop mode nor tablet mode are appealing to me.

10. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'll have to read up on Azure Machine Learning - I hope it's good, because I have to agree with others, there's so much noise on the Feedback forum that I'd be surprised if anything useful is getting through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.