Build 9926 (January Preview) Out

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jhoff80, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randall Garrett

Randall Garrett Scribbler - Standard Member

FWIW, I had a WiFi issue right after yesterday's update. Summarily, I had to re-run the Broadcom exe for my TP10 in Win 8 Compatibility mode. YMMV (had no problems with any other of the 4 devices I upgraded) but FWIW, I posted the steps for newbs and frustrate folks here: Lenovo Thinkpad 10 Tablet

Just passing this along in case you see a post by someone and want to send them there. I know this is obvious to most people here, but just in case it helps you help someone, maybe it'll give them enough to fix their own issues.

-Randall Garrett-
    +Apex Software+

/end/

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I'll do that.

It seems like it is two separate bugs.

1) Win+Type search only works if the taskbar is at the bottom (independent of whether the search box is set to show or only the icon).

2) The search box only shows if the task bar is at the bottom. It makes sense that there should be only the icon if the taskbar is moved to the side, but I see no reason to disallow the search box if it is moved to the top. This looks like a "feature" that makes sense in certain circumstance but not others.

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It also (for me) has been cutting off the first letter of everything I type. So instead of "Excel" it only enters "Xcel".

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So despite my initial reaction of not liking it, I decided to take a backup of my 8.1 install (just in case) and then upgrade to use it as my daily driver. I'm trying to see if it's something I'll eventually get used to if I don't have the sort of safe haven of going back to 8.1.

With that being the case, one of the major backend changes is driving me crazy. I really hate that the app suspend model is no longer there. In 8.1 if you close an app, it just removes it from the interface and suspends it to the background for a quicker load the next time. I know people were confused by it and others wanted full control of everything, but there really is no reason in this day and age to have to manually kill tasks like that. It's a huge step backwards.

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts as you work with it. It looks decent enough, but I dislike the crippled desktop in tablet mode, and the crippled full screen behavior in desktop mode. I really hope they improve those going forward.

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Give them actionable feedback using the Feedback Tool, including screen shots, they are taking the feedback seriously. Then after you've done this share the link and allow us to validate and affirm it.

7. JoeS

I did post a verbal description from within the feedback app. How do you find the link to that?

8. jnjroach

Give us the title of the feedback or keywords and we will be able to find it in the App. They have no web site with this build.

9. JoeS

Thanks. It's the same comments I listed here regarding full screen app behavior. If you want to comment or vote, in the feedback app go to home > desktop > continuum, and type 'tweaks'.

10. jnjroach

Coolness....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.