Build 9926 (January Preview) Out

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jhoff80, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I just tried if for a bit on my SP2 in Hyper-V. First impression is that the interface looks chaotic. This will take some getting used to. Example: switching to tablet mode, any window on the desktop is forced to be maximized (or snapped). The window 'restore' icon is still there near the top right of an explorer window, but it doesn't do anything, which is bad UI design. Only minimize, maximize, and close work. Just when I got used to the Desktop being an app, they pull this stunt.

Other things I miss: having the windows 'key' on the charms bar, being able to hide the right-swipe menu with a second right swipe, being able to flip through apps with left swipe. Even when in tablet mode, doing a left edge swipe brings up the task switcher. In short, many things that made Win8.1 exciting to me in tablet mode have been removed.

But maybe I just need to get used to it?

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You can switch to the new engine, just not the new Spartan browser in full. Check about:flags

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

A couple other touch things that suck. IE (hopefully Spartan is closer to Metro IE), the file picker (the Metro file picker had its limitations but it also worked way better than a standard desktop file picker), and the loss of 320px wide Snap views for WinRT apps that supported it.

Don't get me wrong, there are some good things in this build, it just feels like none of those involve tablet use (in my opinion).

Edit: I forgot one exception. While in tablet mode, x86 desktop apps now work exactly like WinRT apps, and can be dragged down to close. That's one thing I'd have loved in 8.1.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  4. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I agree 100%.... tablet view right now is nothing more than full screen mode. They should have it where in tablet mode it acts like win 8.1 and with tablet mode off it acts like it does now for win 10.

JoeS likes this.
  5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

This is the first build that we're seeing the direction, one of my sources told me that internally they are using much newer builds (9982 - which I find hard to believe as the expectation is RTM would be build 10000).

I think we'll see a couple of small updates before Build and Ignite with the Developer Preview (what we would consider a Release Candidate) being released to correspond to these events.

BTW - This build fixes the slow WiFi throughput on the SP3 that the last build had....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Which setting is it?

"Enable Experimental Web Platform Features"?

7. Mesosphere

Is "Win Key -> start typing" really gone as a way to navigate? The closest I can find to replicating that is "Win+S" to bring up Cortana, but that seems quite a bit more cumbersome.

8. jnjroach

Still works... but the result appear in Cortana's Search Box.... but Windows Key/Button and typing for what you're looking for still works...

9. Mesosphere

Hmm. It isn't working for me. If I hit the Win key the start menu pops up, but when I type nothing happens.

Edit: Ok, I had a hunch and figured out the problem. I usually have the task bar at the top of the screen. When I moved it back to the bottom it shows the Cortana text box and the above shortcut works. When the task bar is at the top of the screen the text box is replaced with a circle and I have to use "Win+S" to search.

Edit 2: Seems like a bug. In options "show search box" is checked, but it still only shows the search icon.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  10. jnjroach

Weird...make sure you use the Feedback tool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.