Build 9926 (January Preview) Out

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jhoff80, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's out for desktop and 8" and above tablets now:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...now-available-to-the-windows-insider-program/

Known issues:

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Does this include the Office Preview? It is hard to imagine MS giving this away for Windows 10.

3. jhoff80

No, those will be separate (both Office 2016/ desktop Office and touch Office) previews in the coming months.

Edit: Just discovered that a preview of the OneNote app is present. The radial menu is gone now, apparently.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  4. jhoff80

My biggest initial impression is that the new start screen not only looks bad, it works terribly with touch.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  5. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

working on installing it on my sp3.... even thought I see this "
    • Connected Standby enabled devices like Surface Pro 3 may experience shorter than expected battery life.

wish me luck :)

6. jhoff80

I do love that I can easily connect/disconnect from Bluetooth devices now, that's the biggest positive change I've noticed.

Overall though, I hate the loss of charms (still - there's a lot of functionality lost in moving to the Action Center), and as I already said, I hate the new start screen. People who don't care about touch will almost definitely be very excited though.

JoeS likes this.
  7. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It really bugs me that Windows 10 has taken the touch interface backwards, when the majority of issues in Windows 8.x were due to the unevolved desktop. I'm on the road and won't be able to test the build until at least next week, but I'm a lot less enthusiastic following @jhoff80's early review. That's how I felt after installing the preview on my SP1. I had hoped that Continuum would make a major positive difference.

8. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yea this **** blows..... being frank here... for my sp3 the icons etc are not big enough and there is no tablet mode IE etc.. this is a BIG STEP BACKWARDS for surface pro owners... they need to fix this and make continuum better or they will kill off the sp line (since touch is a big aspect of that)

9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I was hoping to see the new browser on here, but so far I don't see it. I think the reason it only has desktop IE might be because they both will be replaced before GA.

10. atragon

atragon Pen Pal - Newbie

Given the quality of "improvements", I take it that the onscreen keyboard is unchanged?

Seriously, let me install Windows 7 on a SP3 and I'll be happy. The old TIP was FAR better than the windows 8..1 crap.

dceggert likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.