Budget stylus pc for photoshop

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Rasseru, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Rasseru

Rasseru Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions.

1. What is your budget? Cheap as poss. £500?

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? Yes

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible? Win 10.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 10 to 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]? Uk

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?no

7. How many hours battery life do you require? Doesn't matter

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc) photoshop, painter. Images up to 2-300 mb

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently? Win 10

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc) photoshop, painter

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list. No

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system? No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution? At least 1080p

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance not really

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance. Im used to wacom but never tried the others

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory? 8gb, HD can be small if expandable

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs? USB & sd a plus. USB needed.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above? Attachable real keyboard a plus but money is main concern as my newish laptop broke and I need a new one ASAP.
    I am used to i7 power, not sure how i5s are.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

Cheap! Win 10, stylus, runs photoshop cc smoothly. Did I say cheap? Refurb from eBay would be nice.

Thanks!

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi, again!

I hope that some of our UK members might chime in; eBay is a bit different from country to country.

For your basic needs, I might take a look at the Surface Pro 4.

It has been a popular machine with many, and it ought to be within your budget these days.

It's not Wacom, and I personally don't prefer N-Trig, but if you're not drawing picky little details all the time, then Microsoft's digitizer system is quite serviceable, and they should have the punch required for your needs.

The only concern is that Microsoft glues their units shut and don't offer battery replacements, so once your battery chemistry finally goes flat, you're stuck being tethered. Some of those used models, however, ought to still have a reasonable amount of portable life left in them.

3. Shiratori

Shiratori Pen Pal - Newbie

If you could stretch to £549 you might like to consider the Lenovo Miix 510. We have 3 of them here and quite like them. My fiancée uses hers for digital art using SAI, Clip Studio Paint, Sketchbook Pro, Leonardo and Photoshop CC and doesn't have any complaints. It comes bundled with a keyboard cover and a Wacom AES stylus. In fact, it looks like the one at Currys PC World has a £50 cashback offer which would bring it to within your budget. The only spec that doesn't match your OP is the RAM which is 4GB rather than 8GB.

4. Rasseru

Rasseru Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks. Afaik the pro 4 is out of my budget? I was looking at pro 3 i7s and they were 500 refurb. The 4s start at 650 for the m processor. (which looks really underpowered)

For the miix, does your wife use large brushes and lots of layers? I haven't used i3 before, only i7 & not sure how it will handle it. Also if they are up upgradable then 4gb is fine

Thanks for the answers

5. Shiratori

She does use quite a few layers but I wouldn't say the brushes she uses are particularly large. If the 4GB RAM and i3 are too low-spec for your use then the refurbed i7 Pro 3 sounds to be more to your liking, although you may want to budget an extra 70 quid for a Bamboo Ink stylus as the Surface stylus requires a fair amount of pressure before it makes a mark.

6. Rasseru

Rasseru Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah I dont know if it will be just slightly underpowered. I'm so used to my desktop that I dont have much experience with laptop processors & integrated gfx. I just checked and the miix isnt ram-upgradeable. Adobe say 1gb needed, 8gb recommended. So maybe its ok as 4gb, idk.

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't know what eBay looks like on your side of the ocean, but there are quite a few sellers over here which offer international shipping options, and the prices are well within your budget...

Here's one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-S...199051&hash=item51f6504112:g:b0YAAOSwcBhWboxV

8. Rasseru

Rasseru Pen Pal - Newbie

ive seen some completed listings for £7-900 for i5-i7 (I need 8gb, i've been testing my photoshop and i'm at 8 gigs with photoshop & a couple web tabs)

I have seen a completed listing for an i7 256gb 8gb for £600, so I know there is bargains to be had if I wait and be sneaky

9. Shiratori