Budget stand alone tablet for drawing (like chuwi hi12/13)

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by kjg02s7d, Nov 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kjg02s7d

kjg02s7d Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello guys! I'm looking for a tablet I can use for drawing. Most of all it needs to be cheap and portable, not very strong. I'll probably use a Huion Kamvas Pro 22 at home, and only use this tablet when I'm outside. Any work it won't be able to handle, I can simply do at home. The Chuwi Hi12 (190 euros) seemed like the perfect fit, but the pen to go with it is currently (and I don't know until when) out of stock everywhere (discontinued at most places). The same is the case with the Chuwi Hi13 (270 euros).
    Because of them being discontinued on many sites, I worry they'll never come back in stock, but if you guys think I should wait for them to come back, then that's obviously a good idea too.

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    400 euros, preferably no more than 300, but if there's absolutely no other option, up to 400 works.
    EDIT: I can probably go higher now.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yes, but only refurbished, not used.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    I prefer Windows 10. It needs to work with Clip Studio Paint.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    12-14 inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    Netherlands

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Not really. I really like Lenovo, but for this I don't want that to really influence my decision.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    At least 4-5

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Drawing on Clip Studio Paint.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    I'm a Windows fan, but it's not a requirement.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Clip Studio Paint, and just maaybe some other software as I'm going to start a programming course soon.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    No.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    No.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    HD or above.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Possibly, but not as often. It would be really nice, though.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    With pressure sensitivity, but it doesn't have to be extreme. 1000+ is ideal but I think I can manage with 256 too if it's a very cheap tablet.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    I will probably have all of my files on my main computer and only carry over stuff on a flash drive to use it, so not much.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    USB or anything I can buy a USB converter for.

Extra: it would be nice if I could attach a keyboard to it. Even better if it's the case-keyboard combination kind that you can clip on.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  2. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I had a chuwi hi12. The pen is crap.

If you can handle a slightly smaller screen, the cube tablets use Waco emr pens. Much better. I am not familiar with all the various cube ibook variations however, so you'd want to do some research on those.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

kjg02s7d likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If you go back a generation, then there are some really nice little Tablet PCs in the used market.

You can get real work done on some of these. I found this one on a Dutch trading site...

HP Elitebook 2760p

-That's a small screen, 12" at fairly low resolution by today's standards, but it has an excellent pen system and you can easily run modern software on it. CSP runs on it no problem under Windows 7 and probably 10, (though I've only tried Win7).

If you can find a Fujitsu t904 or t935, then that might be nice. The Fuji t902 is also an old (and quite powerful) favorite: Here's one which will ship to Europe.

It is useful to note that the pen systems on these old machines while they had certain drawbacks, were otherwise excellent, and in some ways better IMHO than the modern systems available today. Wacom supplied the digitizers in 90% of the old Tablet PC market, and they outdid themselves by providing incredibly good hardware.

-However, those digitizers topped out at 256 levels of pressure. But don't let that put you off; I found 256 to be entirely sufficient for any drawing and inking tasks I threw at it; I did hundreds of comic pages on these old systems. -That is, 256 for me was indistinguishable from the 1024 levels on my Cintiq at the time. But some folks around here found that they could notice the difference when using large brushes for painting. Whatever the case, an old Wacom Penabled system is going to be equal to (or leaps and bounds better than) any new competing system available today. We were spoiled back then, and didn't realize it!

There are a bunch of other old tablets which might serve you well, and I'm not going to list them all here. You can search through these forums to find lists, I'm sure.

Anyway, you can absolutely get something which will be a reliable workhorse with an excellent pen system for less than your max budget! For sure!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    kjg02s7d likes this.
  4. kjg02s7d

EDIT: I actually found a second-hand Chuwi Hi13 for 200 euros (including the keyboard)! I am so close to just impulse buying it. Do you guys think this is a good idea?

Thanks a lot, guys! I looked into the cube tablets. This one seems really great to me: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/ALLD...pm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.260.18b13c00VA7k6R but the name is pretty much identical to the Cube Knote 5, which I know doesn't have a pen with pressure sensitivity. I can't get clear information about whether the one from this link does or doesn't, only one review comparing it to the Chuwi Hi13 seems to say it does so far. I heard the Cube Mix Plus is really good, but it's only a 10 inch screen for as far as I know and I think I'd feel really crowded with that.

Those Fujitsu's seem amazing, but I can't find anything within my budget. I'll probably keep searching for that.

I'm wondering if maybe a refurbished Microsoft Surface 3 is also an option? Since the Microsoft Surface 4 is said to be pretty good, or would there be a giant difference? Anyways, I am definitely going to be digging around the forum more.

So far it all seems to be above 350 euros at least, though. Should I not just wait for the Chuwi Hi13 to get back in stock, if it ever does?

There's also the Asus Transformer Book T300 or even cheaper, the Toshiba Dynapad for roughly the same price as the Chuwi Hi13. I can't find any way to properly compare them, not sure if the Dynapad would be a good replacement?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  5. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

I would definitely advise against the chuwis. Their quality control sucks and the pen doesn't even work on many programs. Look for a Fujitsu t902 on eBay.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

kjg02s7d likes this.
  6. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

kjg02s7d and thatcomicsguy like this.
  7. kjg02s7d

Woah, I did not see that one. Thanks a lot! I am a little hesitant to buy second-hand online without being able to go there to see the actual device first, though, so I'm probably still going to go through with the Chuwi and see if it's okay-ish. If it ends up not being enough after all, I can always put it back up to sell it.

EDIT: Oh weelp, the guy just told me the Chuwi already malfunctioned (some kinda issue he has to fix by reinstalling Windows) so the appointment is cancelled. I am probably going to look for things in a slightly higher price range and only buy things refurbished by some kind of company who specializes in that.

The Galaxy Book seems a little small to me. Isn't the Surface Pro 4 a really good one if I find a refurbished one?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

If I were in your situation I'd go looking for a used galaxy book 10.6.

kjg02s7d likes this.
  9. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

The Galaxy book uses the same EMR as every single other Samsung 2 in 1, it is just a more economical option than the notebook 9 pro and the hp zbook x2. However, it is far less powerful than the latter. (Core m3 version) It's usually around 400 bucks or less

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    kjg02s7d likes this.
  10. kjg02s7d

Thanks a lot guys! I ended up getting the Chuwi Hi13 after all since the guy managed to fix it and lowered his price by 25 euros as well as include instructions on how to fix it again in case the issue repeats itself. The big screen was just too tempting and I noticed that I really did find it important to be able to see and test out the tablet before buying it. The tablet is really responsive and I love using it so far. The pen I ordered separately still has to arrive. I read that it's the thing people dislike the most about the Chuwi's, but luckily I don't really need much as I'll be doing most drawing at home. I'm actually typing this from my new Chuwi right now, so yay!

thatcomicsguy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.