budget note taking tablet

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by byviolet, Jul 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. byviolet

byviolet Pen Pal - Newbie

Basically I just want something that can take notes well, I don't care if it's terrible at doing anything else. Will consider anything from new to used, refurbished is ok as well. I have a budget of $350 but lower would be better. The only thing I want pretty much is an active digitizer, so the cheapest option with that would be ideal.

2. jb82

jb82 Scribbler - Standard Member

1. Thinkpad tablet 2
    10.1" wacom with pen silo. 10hr battery life.
    Has older clovertrail atom though so will be slow at many tasks but note taking should be smooth and works well. So fits your good at note taking but not anything else requiremrnt.

Lenovo 10.1" Windows 8 Tablet 2, 2GB RAM, 64GB HDD, Intel Atom, W/ Office H&S 36795MU
    use coupon code intel2in1 for $249.99 shipped. Includes office 2013 as well.

2. Asus vivotab note 8
    8" wacom with pen silo.
    newer baytrail processor so good performance and great for note taking.
    Only problem is quality control. A lot of users have seen failures in the digitier after a couple of months so if you don't want to risk messing with warranty returns etc then steer clear. If you get a good one this is a nice device though.
    Got one for less than $200 recently but these usually sell for $280-$330 from pretty much any store.

3 Samsung Galaxy note 8
    Wacom android
    Never tried it myself but im sure it works well for note taking.
    Just make sure there is a note taking app that will work for you.
    Refurb ones went for $150 as an ebay daily deal recently but prices are usually a little higher.

4 galaxy note 10.1
    the 2014 version is around $300 as a refurb. Often on ebay. As number 3 but with a 10.1 screen.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  3. byviolet

is the the lenovo tablet good? It definitely seems like a good buy

4. edaniels

edaniels Scribbler - Standard Member

I really like my lenovo thinkpad 2. at 250 usd I think its great buy. I bought one about a month ago... sweet purchase

5. byviolet

I'm in canada so the tablet rounds out to $320 after shipping and taxes. Is this still good or should I be thinking of a vivotab?

EDIT: looked up prices on vivotabs.. they will be something like $430 with taxes which I definitely don't think is worth it....

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  6. leftmost

leftmost Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm looking for a light weight tablet which I can use for note taking. I don't expect it to double up as my primary pc. The active digitizer is a must.

I'm juggling between the Asus Vivo tab 8 and the Lenovo Thinkpad tablet 2. The current low price of the thinkpad 2 is attracting me to it but the heavier built and lower speed is repelling me. Is the speed really significantly low.

7. edaniels

for note taking... excel..word...web browsing. . its totally fine. the thinkpad 2 is my only machine..I dont use a desktop or laptop.... Im a general manager of a logisitics company....so my use is primarily ms office on it. this tablet exceeded by expectations. .. I was alittle worried about the speed factor..but now after using it.... no problem

at 250 usd (and if it comes with ms office) absolute steal. I had also considered the asus viovtab note 8 but was worried a little about quality issues.

the size and weight of this machine is amazing.

at 250 for budget note taking... go for it. does the machine slow at times..maybe.. just for second or so... but absolutely a beautiful machine.

8. byviolet

what about for $320?

9. edaniels

with ms office included. ..for sure.....

without it... id probably still say yes..... as I almost bought this at 299 on amazon (without office)..... but then the price dropped to 257.00.....I jumped on it.. so yes..

you might also want to drop some money and get a full size wacom pen... the included pen is ok..alittle small....I use both..but perfer using a full size pen

10. byviolet

yeah? ok thanks for your help, I don't need office though because my university gives us all microsoft office

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.