Bubbles in LCD screen tc4400

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by ryanswj, Aug 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryanswj

ryanswj Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there! Just got a tc4400 and the screen has a few bubbles on it :(

A similar picture can be found here: Thinkpad X61 Tablet LCD Bubbles « Blog

Apparently the X61t seems to have this issue, but no one has reported it for the tc4400. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

It's quite sad because this is my first time using the tablet :( My screen is the indoor/outdoor XGA screen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Just got a tc4400 and the screen has a few bubbles on it...>>

ryan: Is this a used tc4400? The only way I could see bubbles forming in the LCD screen is if the edge seal integrity was compromised. That would imply that you will need to replace the screen at some point in the future.

Any chance you can return this unit to whoever sold it to you? That would be my recommendation...

3. ryanswj

ryanswj Pen Pal - Newbie

Yup, got this second-hand off ebay. It would be economically inefficient to return this tablet as the shipping costs (seller is in US, I am in Singapore) would easily be more than I paid for the tablet. Plus I really love this machine.

Looks like the only way I can get around this is to change the LCD... that would be much cheaper!

Would changing the LCD be very difficult? Will the bubbles keep growing?

Also, is it possible that rough handling during shipping could have caused this bubbling problem?

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Would changing the LCD be very difficult?..>>

...Many laptops and tablets are repairable, but in many cases, it's not easy. If it was me, I would look to replace the entire lid of the convertible, as opposed to just the screen. Parts are frequently available on eBay, although you may have to be patient and search for a few weeks or months. Do an Internet search and check YouTube for information about how to disassemble and reassemble the tc4400.

<<...Will the bubbles keep growing?..>>

...No clue, but bubbles in the LCD can't be a good thing. I would expect things to get gradually worse over time, but there's a chance they may stabilize, too. There's no way that I can predict this for you...

<<...Also, is it possible that rough handling during shipping could have caused this bubbling problem?..>>

...Anything is possible. It's also distinctly possible that your seller knowingly sold you a defective unit. eBay can be hazardous...

5. ryanswj

ryanswj Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your reply! The shipping company (DHL Express/comGateway) was extremely nice and apologetic and has agreed to pay for the repair under shipping insurance. Highly recommended.

I am getting a new tc4400 display assembly fixed by the repairman.

I am also looking to replace the keyboard and the top cover for my tc4400. Would those from the tc4200 work out? I plan to replace them, but the only parts I was able to find were those from the tc4200.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.