Brush rotation in Photoshop, at last

Discussion in 'Artists' started by YVerloc, Nov 9, 2019.

1. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

I know many of us are migrating away from Photoshop. But for those of us still using it as a workhorse, some good news at last. After literally decades of requests they have finally exposed brush rotation as a keyboard shortcut in Photoshop 2020. At last! I can’t wait to use my Surface Dial as something other than a paperweight.

darkmagistric and JoeS like this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

You know, as far as paperweights go it really seems like one of the nicer ones. :) Congrats though!

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I use my Surface Dial all the time with my Pro 5 and Galaxy Book 10.6 . I use it preliminarily just for resizing my brushes....but I do find it more enjoyable for that specific use then I do the Wacom Express Key Remote. Far from a paperweight.

And as far as the Brush Rotation in Photoshop....this pleases me greatly. I mainly use Clip Studio nowadays....but usually I still keep and open Photoshop just for adding Brush Textures. A Keyboard shortcut to rotate them would be very very useful to my workflow.

4. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

I have played around a bunch with the new brush rotation features. Two things:

1. The keyboard shortcut works as advertised. It's not dynamic, meaning that you can't adjust brush rotation while you're painting, but you can adjust it quickly prior to making a brush stroke.

2. the brush settings now has a 'dial' control you can set for 'angle jitter'. This can be hooked up to a surface dial to give dynamic control of the brush rotation. And it /does/ work, but only kinda-sorta:
    - if you use it to adjust brush angle prior to making a stroke, the image of the brush head is not updated quickly (or at all sometimes) so it's nearly impossible to see what angle the brush is being set at
    - The brush angle only ranges between +/- 360 degrees. So as your happily painting away and twisting the brush, the brush just stops rotating as it hits the maximum (or minimum) angle setting. This is pretty frustrating.
    - But that's nothing to the fact that the surface dial is backwards. No joke - rotating the dial clockwise rotates the brush counterclockwise and vice-versa. Oh Microsoft. I guess it inherits the backwards trackpad/mousewheel settings. Setting that are no longer settable. I'd have to hack the registry to fix it, and it'd screw up my mousewheel if i did. Le Sigh.

I set the surface dial to use the keyboard shortcut, and it works a treat though. Finally!

upload_2019-12-11_1-43-12.png