Brain twist --> Q552 or Q702?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by dceggert, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I was not intending to be shopping for a potential Q550 replacement any time in the near future but looking for a deal on a Q552 caused me to trip over a deal on a Q702. Now I am in trouble. Here is the potential 'upgrade' comparison:

Q552
    - dual core Atom with 2 GB of RAM
    - 62 GB SSD, same as my Q550
    - Q550 stuff I have would work with it
    - cheaper option at about $849
    - same size and weight as my Q550
    - 10.1" 16:10 screen

Q702
    - I5 and 4 GB RAM
    - Win7 64-bit (I consider W7 to be an advantage)
    - 128 GB SSD
    - 11.6" 16:9 screen (I consider this a downside)
    - SD slot and (2) USB ports as well as full size HDMI
    - $999 w/o keyboard dock ($400 off?)

The drawbacks to the Q702 would be:
    - I do not like 16:9 screens; this is probably my biggest holdup.
    - less battery life than I am used to
    - bigger than the Q550 (but smaller than my T731)
    - no keyboard dock; I would need to buy one separate for about $350

Benefits of the Q702 would be:
    - I could drop down to one machine and stop carrying the T731 when I need to do video processing or Visio documents
    - I5 power in a state
    - N-trig V4
    - larger SSD
    - fast USB-3

I was waiting for reports on the Elitepad 900 but that is an Atom as well, plus it uses a huge unknown digitizer from Atmel. Also, to get these ports the 'jacket' would be needed.

Any thoughts from the other asylum residents? Decisions, decisions, ...

2. kneebuster

kneebuster Long time tablet PC user

I was using an i7 based Lenovo X220T along with a Thinkpad Tablet (Android) and had been considering dumping the Android for an Atom based Win tablet such as the 552. I loved the performance of the X220T but disliked the 4.5 lb slate mode. The main thing that the Android tablet was missing was a good digitizer (it's an older N-Trig) and the lack of OneNote and PowerPoint. I also really wanted to get down to 1 computer if I could. In the end the Q702 was too tempting and I'm selling the other 2 machines. I also would have preferred a "taller" screen, but I've adapted just fine to the 16:9.

3. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Wait till forum members start writing about their Helix tablets. This way you can choose between 3 different devices. That $1,400 price tag that Lenovo announced is probably some marketing trick. I think the actual price will be lower. Besides, once the Surface Pro hits the stores, I think all tablets will get a bit cheaper. And the release of the Helix will put even more pressure on Fujitsu to make the Q702 more affordable.

Wait a bit longer. Rome wasn't built in a day.

4. dceggert

Good plan. Thanks for the input, even if it is like a 2x4 to the forehead. The only issue I can see, however, is the longer I wait the more likely W7 will not be available. But, there are always used ones once something else comes along and the feeding frenzy restarts!

5. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

According to Lenovo documents, the Helix will be available with Win7! So it seems that, all business-grade machines with Core-i CPUs will be Win7-compatible. Atoms will not because neither Intel nor MS wants to support Win7. The longer you wait, the further the prices (of both new and used machines) will drop....And the more info you will be able to gather about those machines. If there's no rush to get the machine, wait till the community reviews the Helix. I'll probably get it once its price hits $800-900 on eBay.

If the prices of old Win7 machines (such as the Q552) don't drop, that will be a sign that the demand for said machines is high enough, which could possibly mean more dark clouds over Win8.

6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Something to just ponder as well, when you compare a 10.1" 16:10 screen and a 11.6" 16:9 screen in portrait. The 16:9 screen is actually wider by about .33". Yes, it's "longer" too, but if you're writing or reading in portrait, it's just the same, but with more info "below". The real issues with 16:9 come in landscape for me, but I hear people complain about it more in re: to portrait. I think it would really be opposite, if you just considered the actual dimensions and not the proportions, if that makes any sense. It's more about getting over your 16:10 or 4:3 motor memory, than it is about the 11.6" 16:9 screen not being usable in portrait.

7. dceggert

Steve,
    Yes, I can see the Helix's 1920×1080 IPS screen (16:9) being able to display what I need it to in either direction. The Q702, however, only has 1366×768 (16:9), which is the traditional 720p HD size. This 768 will cause a squish that the 1080 would be much better. So the Helix is better and may be an acceptable "16.9" display where the Q702 would have the traditional "16.9" so not all screen ratios are created equal. I may consider a 16:9 if it is the 1080p like on the Helix.

Unfortunately, the Q702 has two USB ports on the slate (one USB2 and one USB3) as well as an HDMI port and a full-size SDXC card reader. In addition there are 2 more USB2 ports and a VGA port on the keyboard dock (all my office projectors are still VGA).This makes the Q702 better for business than the Helix which only seems to have 2 USB ports and a mini-display port on the keyboard dock.

If only the HP Elitepad 900 had an i5 and a Wacom digitizer it would be perfect. Why is it that it seems like each manufacturer seems to not get it?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Oh, my intent wasn't to compare the Helix to the q702, but rather the q552 and the q702. The display on the Helix is clearly better, IMO. But if you're comparing a 10.1" 16:10 and a 11.6" 16:9, I think the screen real estate is more comparable than people give it credit for. That was my point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.