Bought a TX1210ca yesterday and regretting it?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by nikecar, Oct 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karinatwork

karinatwork Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello there! I've been reading these posts for a long time now. Hi everyone!

I went to Futureshop yesterday and looked at all the tx's they had on display, I think there were 6 different ones. My main problem was the grainyness of the touchscreens. I just could not get over it. So I bought one without. But now after playing with it for a few hours, I feel like I am regretting it now. I would love to be able to fold the screen and read the websites, scrolling down with a fingernail or whatever.

BUT THE MUDDY SCREEN! I don't really know what to do...

Any insights? What should I do?? :(

Thanks!

Karin

2. stealthy1

stealthy1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm, my tx1219us doesn't show that bad graininess. But with all tablets, you will have some degree of graininess. The original tx1120us had so much grain, but I think the new ones are better.

3. cooljoe10

cooljoe10 Football Star(slotback)

hp has a 30 return thing try getting a new one and seeing if that screen is grainy too.

4. idiscuss

idiscuss Pen Pal - Newbie

Just return it to futureshop while you can.

What percentage of the time do you write on the screen? do you spend more time writing on the screen than you look at it? If the answer is no, then return it and get a refund.

I don't know about you, but a clear, bright and eye-pleasing screen is much more important for me, because I don't need to write on the screen all that often, but I pretty much look at it every minute while I am using the laptop.

Just say no to TX1000z.

5. JR7

JR7 Pen Pal - Newbie

Try different settings for brightness. A bright screen looks far less grainy than a dim one. I was worried, too, when I saw tablets in my local store, until I discovered they were typically kept at 50% or less brightness. Cranking it up made a huge difference to me. There will be some battery life tradeoff, though. For reference, I get almost exactly 3 hours on full brightness while surfing and using ms-office.

Depending on what applications you intend to use, it may be possible to set a different background than white, which tends to look the most grainy. For example, you can set MS-Word to white letters on blue background instead of the default black letters on white background.

In the end, though, everyone has to decide for themselves. Try playing with some settings in the store. If it's still unacceptable to you, then it probably is unacceptable to you. On the other hand, if you can find settings that work, or might work, then try it out. As Cooljoe pointed out, there's a 30-day return policy -- you could try it for a month and see how you feel about it.

Good luck,

JR

6. karinatwork

I went and bought another one, with a touchscreen. Now I have both of them at home to test. I like the screen of the non-touchscreen one better, but that's about it. I don't do a lot of handwriting, but I love how I can use the stylus to act like my mouse. A lot handier than the touchpad. This one with the touchscreen is a newer model (tx13XX), and compared to the (tx12xx) it is faster, and the sound doesn't crackle.

I do have two large screens at the desktops I work at, one at the office and one at home. For my laptop yes it would be nice to have a crisp screen, but really, the "pocket pc" option makes it really a lot handier for me.

I guess I'm used to pocket pc's anyway so this stylus thing came naturally to me. I'm thinking I might keep the touchscreen laptop and return the regular laptop to Futureshop. But I guess I'll definitively need an extended warranty for the touchscreen laptop, those things are delicate!

7. idiscuss

idiscuss Pen Pal - Newbie

so you didn't even have a touch screen to begin with? what were you regretting about?

8. karinatwork

What I regretted was the fact that the computer had this great convertible screen, which l wasn't able to use like a touch screen!
    It only made sense to use it with a stylus,but it didn't work! that's why I wentand got the other one (with the touch screen.) It's soo hard to decide!!
    I'm just afraid I'll make a mistake that l'll regret later on. A screen that sucks (kinda) or a screen that's crippled (kinda).

9. karinatwork

I'm still here, and I still don't know what to do. Touchscreen is a good thing, I agree, but that screen is driving me bonkers.My husband said he's going to divorce me if I don't make up my mind soon.
    At this point I still own 2 devices. :confused:

10. cooljoe10

cooljoe10 Football Star(slotback)

um when you say you went to get another one was it a bestbuy cause there they have that geek squade thing and they might be able to change the screen or something and dont forget their is a 30 return thing with hp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.