Bought a T5010 today

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Fluffyfurball, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

I just wanted to start off by extending my gratitude to everyone on this forum for the time put in to educate people like me!

My road to tablet pc nirvana has been a bit up and down; and I don't think I'm there yet but we shall see. I needed a tablet pc for work (data entry and patient histories etc. and for reading and annotating journal articles among other things.) I also have some vision problems, so clear pdf text is a must. I initially went with a used 2740p, thanks to the info on this forum, but sadly that particular unit was fraught with technical issues. Although HP service was great, when the motherboard died during a critical course, I gave up on it.

Since then I've been using my Macbook Pro connected up to a 12" Cintiq. As you can guess, this isn't exactly a great solution. Also, pdf text legibility on the Cintiq is a bit of a problem for me.

Anyway, I decided to try a Fujitsu with its 13" screen and sell off the Apple and Cintiq. I was eyeing the T901 but with Windows 8 around the corner and manufacturers finally getting serious about tablets I decided to go for something a lot cheaper in the meantime and see if anything groovy comes along the pipeline in a year or so. I hope this wasn't an idiotic decision (but I'll let you know soon enough!!)

I've rambled on, but I hope to get the T5010 in a week or so. I think the Core 2 Duo should be alright with what I do for now. If I've made a boob by ordering an old T5010 I'll fill you in on all the grieving and weeping. Thanks everybody.

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You may have depending on how much you paid, and what extras you are getting with it; can you provide the specs, or a link to the ended auction?

3. Fluffyfurball

4. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That looks like a pretty good deal, assuming its a legal copy of Windows 7 & MS Office 2010 (you should be able to easily find out once you get it); the only bad parts I can see are it doesn't seem to have an OEM power supply (from the description it sounds like a Chinese replacement), and nothing in the modular bay.

Other than that stuff, if you want to you can upgrade to 8GB of DDR3 for $35-40 as it has Windows 7 64-bit installed (useful if you are doing a significant amount of multi-tasking, and also so you could use ~4GB of the ram as a 'ram disk' which is essentially like having a ~4GB ultra fast storage space -certainly useful in some use scenarios, just be sure to back-up data on the ram disk often, or set the settings to basically do it for you)

I don't think you have anything to worry about with the T5010, it has above average parts all around (full voltage processor, good AFFS+ screen, decent keyboard, bezel buttons, runs well, is easily upgradable in terms of HDD/ SSD and ram), not the best of the best, but a step or two below, and for $500 its practically a steal.

5. Fluffyfurball

Thank you so much for the appraisal! I'll report back with a follow-up when I get it. I'll also post some pictures of the screen and text close-ups comparing the MacBook Pro, Fujitsu and Cintiq. I think some people were curious about that, so maybe it will help someone.

Yes, I'll upgrade the RAM to 8 and add a SSD once I settle in with it. I see the 5010 has some heating problems. We'll see. Thanks again!

6. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, how much it is worth you'll see over time. If Agent9 says 500$ is a good price, I'll trust him on that.
    For the included Windows and Office license it definitely is.

If the screen backlight fails in a week, the keyboard loses buttons or the fan dies, though... :D
    It's the common risk of buying anything that can break without a warranty ;)

You're bad luck should have been used up with the 2740p breaking, though. They're very reliable in general and so are the T5010's usually.

For what you said you do with this thing a C2D should serve you very well.

7. Fluffyfurball

:D Thnx, Hattori. Maybe I'll get lucky this time round :eek: .

I was reading up about RAM disks that A9 mentioned.

8. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Holy nirvana Batman, that is a great unit for the $'s! Congratulations...

9. Fluffyfurball

Thanks for the help, everyone.

It finally arrived today after a LONG wait. All is well, except that Microsoft Office won't activate :mad: but I entered my own key and it went okay after that. Also, my BluBeam PDF Revu license only allows use on one computer rather than on a desktop plus laptop. Bummer.

The screen is superb: no need for pictures as it compares very well to the Apple MacBook Pro except for a slight anti-reflective sparkle. Bigger is better for pdf reading and I'm quite happy that I can read a whole pdf journal page easily without zooming: such a wonderful thing!

The old HDD is quite fast, so I'm wondering if I will bother replacing it with the SSD I bought for it. The fan is a bit loud and whirs up and down in intensity. Now "a bit loud" is in comparison to a dead-silent 2011 MacBook Pro, so not too bad really.

The scroll sensor on the lid is a bit weird. When it activates the pen cursor retains the scroller image even if I'm writing which can be a bit disconcerting.

All in all I instinctively liked this computer from get-go. I am very glad I didn't spend 2 large to get the T901 although I will keep an eye on what Fujitsu comes out with for Windows 8/Ivy Bridge.

Thank you all again for the help and kind advice.

10. Fluffyfurball

Here I am again: the continuing saga.

I switched off the scroll sensor.

My Crucial SSD arrived and I dove right in. I copied the drivers from Fujitsu, downloaded a Windows iso and opened up the computer to replace the drive. By this time, the fan whirring was starting to annoy me, but I just thought it an 'old' computer so I was prepared to accept this as a quirk of the machine. I saw the cpu and cooler staring at me when I opened the case and I remembered having some Tuniq TX-2 paste around for a workstation cpu installation a few months back that works verrry well.

I removed the cooler only to note that whoever applied the cpu thermal paste spread on WAY too much. The cpu was invisible under a giant glob of white paste. I cleaned it off with rubbing alcohol and applied a tiny drop of paste and replaced the cooler. Since then, the fan has been silent with occasional quiet whirs. I don't know what the cpu temp is though, but the laptop feels a bit cooler to touch.

Anyway, I had much Fujitsu driver nightmares. To start with, the auto driver download utility listed under T5010 doesn't work with my computer (T5010). I also had problems with the wireless which I sourced from Intel instead. I had grief with the firmware installs because of wrong order of installation. The button drivers/utility failed to install and I had to hunt around the net to find solutions. The HP tablet that I had previously was much more friendly with regards to driver installation.

I must mention (sorry) to put things into perspective - a HDD/SDD replacement on my 2011 Apple MacBook Pro (now sold): open case, pull out old HDD, push in new unformatted HDD. Attach ethernet or have WiFi available and turn on computer. The computer will then automatically install drivers and the OS. An hour or so later (depending on the internet speed) I'm presented with a welcome screen and that's it. I was just wondering if Fujitsu and others can do something similar w.r.t. drivers: some kind of command in the bios to download the drivers when a new HDD is detected? Can this be done?

I don't know, fixing bugs and hunting down drivers just seems so 1995. I'm sorry if I grumbled too much. I'm just an old-timer. Old-timers like to gripe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.