Botched One Time Recovery Disk Creation - Now What?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by ginakra, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ginakra

ginakra Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all, I accidently ejected the 2nd dvd during the recovery disk making process. *sigh* I tried to get it to cancel the process by hitting the "cancel" button which apparently, is there just for show, because it continued making the 2nd disk after I reinserted it anyway. I'm not confident the recovery disk was made properly, and the program won't make another set. First off, is that HP's idea of a joke? I mean, WTH? Why can't I make another set?! Stupidity!

Ok, now that I've vented...is there a way to trick the zystem into making me another set, or what else do I do now?

Thanks,
    Gina

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Unfortunately no. You are going to have to contact HP and have them send you a set of recovery disks.

3. ScotchtapeLoser

ScotchtapeLoser Scribbler - Standard Member

unless you want to restore from the 2nd partition, go through the process of setting up your machine again, and then trying the dvd creation process again...

looks like HP is your hope for a disk right now... maybe the tech will feel empathetic and send it for free?

4. DRTigerlilly

As far as i know the option to burn the machine only shows up once, once you've used it it's gone, i'm not sure that using the hard drive restore/recovery partition, is going to restore that functionality.

Edit:
    Found you a solution here

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. PCgirl

PCgirl Pen Pal - Newbie

^^Wow. Great find Drtigerlilly!

Here's my question: I am getting a replacement notebook (2510) from hp. Exact same specs. Would the recovery discs I made from my first notebook work for the replacement one? Or are the discs made specifically for each machine and I have to make a new set? :confused:

Thanks.

6. DRTigerlilly

I'm not sure if they are model specific, or brand specific. You are going to have to try to find out. I think they should work w/ identical models.

Maybe someone else can better answer this.

But definitely burn the disks on your new machine, just in case.

7. ginakra

ginakra Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the find Drtigerlilly! I'm a little skeered to try it though, has this been verified elsewhere? Is there a chance it would mess up the partition restore? I read the original thread and didn't see anyone that had tried it and was successful. I SO appreciate the researching time and effort, I'm just a little nervous. I guess the worst that can happen is I need to get cds from hp later? If I can delete those files, can I replace them through winrar as well?

8. DRTigerlilly

maybe what you could do instead of deleting the files is to move them? and back them up somewhere, so that you could put them back if it doesn't go as planned?

Also found reference to it here & here

also in reference to the first link, someone also posted this. So it does appear to work.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. ScotchtapeLoser

ScotchtapeLoser Scribbler - Standard Member

Your backup disks are not one computer specific. Since you're getting the same model with the same specs, the discs will work with it.

If you tried to use them to rebuild a dell, you'd run into an error saying the disks were meant for HP systems only.

as long as the models are the same, your discs will work.

10. tC_Crazy

tC_Crazy Pen Pal - Newbie

If you're worried about damaging the recovery partition, just rename the files (i would append a .backup to the filename) instead of deleting them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.