Bosto Kingtee quietly gaining ground.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thatcomicsguy, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oh, please! He could have said "No" to Bosto. Heck, he may have even approached them.

Imagine some company sending you review machines for you to explore and play with and write about. His industry profile is going through the roof. Fame is life blood when you're in media; many people pay through the nose for the kind of exposure he's getting.

And he's in a position to benefit from that exposure; many internet personalities have nothing to sell but their name; whereas he's got a full skill-set. I can't imagine that he'll be going hungry any time soon. It's not so much, "Ask and ye shall receive" as it is, "GIVE and ye shall receive".

(Not to be confused with the Shylocks out there with their lousy Graphic Novel "scripts" trying to weasel poor artists to draw it all for a "share of the proceeds". You gotta be wise in how and where you send your energy. Frenden doesn't strike me as being a tool. It looks like he's having fun, which is an excellent indicator that you're going in the right direction.)

stoneseeker likes this.
  2. dri

dri Pen Pal - Newbie

Frenden's opinion is far from impartial. The Yiynova MSP19u should never be recommended to any digital artist imo. How can a stand alone graphics tablet have a crappier screen than any tablet pc on the current market. I say the quality of the screen is on par with the old 2006 wacom dtis (ridiculously pixelated) and he's plugging it like it's a genuine alternative to a Cintiq.

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I'd say he's pretty impartial if he is knocking the product and Yiynova sends him a second improved unit based on the critiques. Maybe he's being optimistic considering the limitations, but he's no paid off fluffy-reviewer.

I do wish that these manufacturers would not skimp so hard on the components, especially as important as the screens. They could make a product on par with Wacom and still undersell them by a ton. I'd pay another $2-300 on top of their price for the better hardware.

A side note, whole studios are seeing them as viable alternatives now: Animation Labs Equipped with New Tablets | vanarts.com

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Sorry, but that's just silly. I mean, it's not as if Wacom screens pre 2006 were not worth using at the time; many of them are still in active use today. (They certainly sell for enough on eBay). -I'm still pouring hundreds of hours into a 2004 screen which I bet is inferior in terms of viewing angle and color temp, etc., to Yiynova's OEM stock choices, but it doesn't prevent me from getting lots of work done and enjoying the heck out of the process.

When you're looking at an affordable alternative, (affordability being something which is of huge importance to many artists), a non-cutting edge screen isn't really a terrible compromise, imho.

If you want cutting edge, sure, go Wacom. But the truth of the matter is that until very recently, there were *no* other options whatsoever. Now there are. That's a good thing.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  5. dri

dri Pen Pal - Newbie

You may think it's silly but truth of the matter is people don't know better. Fortunately the dti range is cheap today. Very sturdy I might add but it has zero support from Wacom. Besides the point but nobody should be paying more than $300 for them. I can honestly say that in terms of visual representations there are better alternatives. It's fine for illustrative people who favor solid black and white line drawing. I would say my perception has definitely changed much like how modern tvs are viewed.

We watched crts and had vcrs before dvd and bluray. There were no complaints at the time. Now that technology is capable of better one cant help but compare hd quality and displays using vga connections. I wish my opinion was influenced by marketing but it isn't. The lenovo x60/61t and Fujitsu t4220 holds up rather well if not better compared to the Yiynova that I tested. Ok, not as much real estate, but I value accuracy above cost efficiency. As consumers we are trying to find the closest thing to traditional tools.

I really wish I could demonstrate what I mean but I didn't buy the Yiynova, even offered to me for $550 AUD, when it sells for $700 AUD. Maybe I'm at a disadvantage because I've seen better and am judging accordingly while it wont detract others but I firmly believe if anyone is incorporating typography with their artwork, they need to choose graphic tablets with hd resolutions and over.

There are really a lot of options to explore for cost efficiency. Depends on the artists needs but they need to also factor in what you invest now you save on traditional art materials. Anyone happy that they save hundreds on illustration boards, acrylics, water colours and oils? I know for a fact I could of saved my carpet from ink and paint spillages :D

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  6. klachowski

klachowski Pen Pal - Newbie

gmang likes this.
  7. PGross

PGross Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree that it's great that we're finally seeing some alternatives to the cintiqs, and I have to disagree that the yiynovas are crap. They might be bad for working with type, but for drawing comics they are pretty nice. I've owned four cintiqs, currently have a 22HD Touch and a cintiq companion. I bought a yiynova msp19u this summer to try out and use at a vacation home, and I was pleasantly surprised by it. It' nowhere near as nice as a cintiq, but I would use it any time over working on an intuos tablet. Yes, the resolution is low, but that really doesn't matter for drawing and inking. The VGA connector is archaic, the glass is too far above the LCD making for increased parallax, but it has a silky smooth drawing line that I can see some people preferring over a cintiq.

If you can afford a cintiq, then go for it, but the yiynova is a perfectly viable alternative for some professions, and a great entry price compared to cintiq.

That said, I love the new cintiq companion and I'm selling the yiynova soon to help pay for it! ( And my surface pro too.)

I think the thing that will keep wacom as the leader over products like yiynova and bosto is touch interface. Once I got that, there was no going back for me. I'm even moving away from mac to windows, and I can't believe mac is losing their grip on artists.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

haha Welcome to 2005!

Although, I do still occasionally meet plenty of artists who just assume you must have an apple for serious editing or graphic design. It's funny too, cause Jobs himself snubbed every artist out there when he scoffed at the iPad having a stylus. "If you see a stylus, they blew it" .... Thanks Steve, I guess we'll go back to finger painting.

9. gmang

gmang Pen Pal - Newbie

I kinda agree with this. I have not tried the yiynova itself, but I did buy a Huion for testing UCLogic and I didn't find it so great at all. He recently reviewed the same Huion and said he loved it. I have it collecting dust. I don't suspect him or anything, I just believe he likes the feeling of that digitizer despite it's weak points, and what works for him may not work for everyone.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  10. gmang

gmang Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm just saying his reviews don't offer so much info anymore. The yiynova 22 review told me nothing new. I can't even say if they improved the digitizer for real because he didn't make any shots nor videos comparing the old and new ones. He just made a quick mention of it, which was already anounced anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.