**borderline** Fujitsu T4220 Or Asus R1f???????

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by kureshii, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanik07

nanik07 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey all,

I've been reading/doing my research and would appreciate any help this forum can bring me. I am stuck between the Fujitsu T4220 and the Asus R1F-K049E.

I was leaning towards the Asus, b/c of the aesthetics, but am disuaded by the poor reports of battery life/non Santa Rosa platform/no hard drive stabilizer. If you have a Fujitsu T4220, tell me what you think about its looks--there aren't many pics of it on the internet that I can find, and I want to be sure the display is ok..basically..how does it compare to a widescreen 13.3 inch screen? (I know its a dumb question, but there is nothing else about it that I am worried about)

OTHER QUESTIONS:
    Does the Asus have an active digitizer? Would you pay and extra $100 to upgrade Hard drive from 120 GB to 160 GB?

Here are the specs of each of the models I am looking into buying, however suggestions for upgrades would be good. the two models vary greatly in specs, but are in the same general price range. if i were to upgrade fujitsu, to similar specs as asus, then it would be more costly.

Fujitsu T4220
    Core2Duo T7500 2.2 Ghz
    12.1 XGA
    1GB memory
    100GB HD

VS

Asus R1F- K061E Special Edition
    Core2Duo T7200 2.0Ghz
    13.3 WXGA
    2GB memory
    160 GB HD

PREDICTED USAGE:

I am going to college in the fall, and will use this in supplement to an older desktop, which is 2 years old. The desktop will have more of the multimedia things on it. I will use the laptop to look at large pdf scientific articles and mark them up, take notes (the more the better), and internet browse. I will be biking a lot and will put the laptop in my backpack and travel with it everywhere. I plan to major in BIOPHYSICS.

Here is the survey everyone has:

General Questions.

1. What is your budget? $2000.00 give or take $300

2. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)? CONVERTIBLE PLEASE

3. What size Tablet PC would you prefer? Thin and light notebooks, mainstream size

* Small and light ~ 5" to 8.9"
    * Compact ~ 10"
    * Mainstream ~ 12.1"
    * Large ~ 14"

4. Which country do you intent to purchase from? USA

5. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? see above

6. How many hours battery life do you require? AS MANY AS POSSIBLE, AT LEAST 4

7. What do you intend to use the Tablet for? see above

8. Do you have an OS preference? i'm not sure what the pros and cons of having XP tablet or vista are ...which is better for my usage?

9. What software and tasks do you intend to run? see above

10. Do you intend playing Games. If so please list. no.

Screen Specifics

1. Do you prefer standard or widescreen? I prefer widescreen, but I guess I could go either way. Can someone tell me how happy they are with a regular 12.1 inch screen?

2. What resolution do you prefer? It depends on if it is widescreen or not. If it isn't, then I may get the SXGA

* XGA - 1024x768 ~ Large and easy to read text and graphic icons but you fit less on the screen.
    * SXGA - 1400x1050 ~ Small text and graphic icons which require good vision but the gain is a much larger screen.
    * WXGA - 1280x768 ~ Wider viewing angle of XGA but ideal for viewing Spreadsheets and other programs that require desktop space.

3. Do you require an Indoor only or Indoor/Outdoor screen option?
    indoor is cheaper and if I'm outside I'll just sit under a tree.

4. Do you require a Passive or Active Digitizer?
    active

5. Do you require Wacom or Finepoint Technology?
    wacom

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? enough so it doesn't lag and I can have a considerable amount of files and notes on it. (2GB?) (120/160 GB HD)

2. Do you require an Optical Drive? not really, since i have a desktop--I will just switch it out for either the fake drive or the BATTERY

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)? yes

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    see above, thanks!

hopefully I can get some feedback in a couple days, maybe even a few hours! Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. ncsumtb711

ncsumtb711 Pen Pal - Newbie

Recently did much the same thing as I am going back to grad school this fall. I am a mountain biker and will be riding to class so we have that in common (need to have great build quality/durability/weight/service)

I decided that build quality, service, battery life, and portability were indeed tops: I ended up getting a Lenovo X61t. Though I would still like a full fledged Core DUO processing base w/ better graphics, I figured I would rather game on my Wii and Desktop. For business or school purposes the X61 is hard to beat.
    If the L7500 Santa Rosa and the wait time don't turn you off, I'd look into the Lenovo option. Otherwise, it's hard to beat that Fujitsu if you stick to your guns between the two options you are currently stuck with.... My decision came down to the X61 and the T4220. One of my buddies at work has a non-tablet Acer and the build quality is inferior.

3. nanik07

nanik07 Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks for your quick response; I'll look into the Lenovo--I've heard that it is also one of the top tablets out there. I'm still into the other 2 mentioned above though.

4. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The T4210's 12.1" screen felt adequate for me; I won't say it always felt sufficient, but then again even 17" monitors sometimes don't feel sufficient for me ^^

As for comparisons with a 13.3" widescreen, what kind of comparisons are you looking for? In terms of apparent screen size, useability, viewability, handwriting experience...?

I'd suggest getting the T4220 with a smaller HDD, and upgrading it yourself from a third-party manufacturer, it's probably cheaper that way. 100USD for an extra 40GB is way overpriced. Likewise for memory; add the remaining 1GB from a third party.

It also comes with the SXGA+ option now, so I'll definitely recommend the T4220. 4 hours of normal usage shouldn't be a problem for it, more if you get the add-on modular battery.

5. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The new T4220 with it's SXGA+ screen is going to be hard to beat... especially as it too has an excellent pedigree in build quality.
    Fujitsu & Fujitsu Siemens use Grade A component parts, sure it makes them dearer but it results in much lower returns back to the manufacturer.

And when you do need to contact Customer Services or Tech Support, you can rest assured you are dealing with a first class after sales service.

6. nanik07

nanik07 Pen Pal - Newbie

ok great! thanks you guys--I'll probably go for the Fujitsu for its reliablity/quality. Is Fujitsu the only place where I can get it with SXGA? Probably.

Anyone else have an opinion?

7. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

I received an email from Fujitsu Sales promoting a 2 day sale (July 30th through August 1st) for $100 for their Back to School sale and includes a coupon code. When you add your configuration to the cart, there should be a textbox below the "Continue Shopping" and "Checkout" button that allows you to put in a coupon code. The coupon code to input is: BACKSCHOOL, the price discount will be reflected once you click the Checkout button, fill out necessary shippng information, then the confirmation and purchasing screen (where one chooses how they will pay for their order) will show the changed price.

You could call Fujitsu Sales, at 1-800-FUJITSU (1-800-385-4878) and inquiry about their 5% Student/Academic Discount, if you want to save even more than when using the online store coupon code.

--

Yes Fujitsu direct is the only place that you can get the T4220 with the SXGA+ screen. Third party resellers, like Laptop Authority, will have to order it and have a good amount of stock before selling it on their website.

8. walkertx

walkertx Pen Pal - Newbie

can the experts throw light on the heat issue which troubled the older model t4210, i was reading that it got really hot ...
    thanks

9. Smoothcrm7

Smoothcrm7 Pen Pal - Newbie

I got my T4220 a few days ago and love it. I was in the Tablet P.C boat for a long time and have been surfing these forums for a few months to get a good Idea. I have jumped between probably every tablet choice including the R1F at one point before making my decison.
    The t4220 is amazing at worst, the screen is quite quite good for a laptop (and i even have the XGA screen) Its extremely fast amazing batterly life( and yes i have put the main and modular through my daily life testing and it passed with flying colors)
    I have had to deal with Fujitsu on one issue reguarding my anytime upgrade and the tablet buttons. Granted there was no direct solution only work arounds but they were very responsive and even told me they had to do more research and would call me back in 1 hour which they did. Very curtious Friendly and extremely professional.
    I so far have very high reguard for this notebook and Fujitsu

P.S
    Yes it does get warm but the vents are putting out hot air so the fans are clearly working its just especialy since mine is a 2.4 with 4 gigs it generates a lot of Heat. Its not so much that it can rest in your lap with any discomfort but after a lot of usage can be noticablely hot..

10. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hmm, my T4210 has never burned me before... granted, it gets somewhat hot on AC, but all laptops that I've seen do that anyway. I have my hand on the CPU vent now (on AC) and can keep it there the next 5 minutes if I want to. In fact, I do that sometimes, at night when it gets a little cold... on battery mode it's cooler than a hot water bottle, makes a nice lap-warmer (would have been nice if it ran a little hotter though, heh).

What you would want to do is to check your power options in control panel, make sure it's set to portable/laptop and not, say, home/office desk. SpeedStep should kick in and make sure the temperature never rises that high.

The usual culprits of heat are the CPU and hard drive; I'm on the stock Fujitsu 5400RPM drive (80GB) and it's relatively cool compared to other HDDs, obviously if you're using a 7200RPM drive you'll have to expect a little more heat. Likewise with a T7500, or any CD/C2D that runs faster than 2GHz (mine's a T2400, 1.86GHz).

If that's not good enough for you, try NHC, probably not the best underclocker there is but one of my favourites anyway. the default settings should be enough to help reduce the temperature a little. You can also tweak hard drive spin-up and CPU stepping points for further temperature reduction. Why push your tablet so hard when you're not using that performance? ;-)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015