Boox firmware 3.2

Discussion in 'eReaders' started by violajack, Dec 3, 2021.

1. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

You guys! They added optimization to several apps they're calling "scribble" that seems to allow the device to handle ink rendering rather than waiting for the app to do it and onenote now inks in real time.

I just picked up a max lumi and it offered me the update to the 3.2 firmware right away and it's amazing. Ink in onenote is every bit as fast as the native notes app.

I gave the nova color to my oldest, but may have to borrow it back to see if it has the option to update. Color ink in onenote at full speed would really be something.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

jhoff80, Tams, Kumabjorn and 4 others like this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

That's actually really cool, and sort of a breakthrough for eink functionality. That's the first time I've ever heard of one doing that!!

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Can you download the firmware and install it manually? My old Note Max 2 doesn't pick up any OTA upgrade.

5. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Here's the official webpage for the firmware update:

https://shop.boox.com/pages/firmware

And the download page:

https://downloads.boox.com/

It doesn't look like yours currently has 3.2 available, @Kumabjorn But maybe they're still rolling them out, newest to oldest?

Edit: after looking through the downloads it appears that the 3.2 update is not offered for any device. OTA only or maybe they're still working on it?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    Kumabjorn likes this.
  6. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Now just for Microsoft to get their heads out of their arses and take development of Office for Android back in-house.

I don't have high hopes though, with their current state. Hell, they've been risking getting fined by the EU again with that Edge fiasco. Might be new blood who didn't bother touching up on their Microsoft history.

Bishop likes this.
  7. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

I think this is an example of how it performs, shown in Voya's latest review of the Max Lumi 2. It's funny, he starts by saying OneNote performance is pretty much the same, only to change his mind mid-sentence. :) If this is indeed the 3.2 firmware it looks quite good, but with occasional glitches.

Marty likes this.
  8. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Palm rejection is still garbage in one note, so I turn off finger touch when I'm planning on writing. It looks like a lot of the glitches were due to that. But I had to watch with the sound off. And I haven't had much chance to use it yet. I have plans for this afternoon though. And I'll see if the nova color can get 3.2 yet.

Now if only they'd bring scribble mode to mobilsheets. I've got a new set of strings to put on and an afternoon of practicing to do before I can play with onenote more.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

Kumabjorn and JoeS like this.
  9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Huh, I somehow missed this thread, but turned on my Nova 3 Color for the first time in a while to read a new book and saw that this firmware update was available. Pretty excited to see the improvements in OneNote as soon as it finishes updating.

Edit: It's actually a bit interesting how it works. What you write shows up on the screen nearly immediately now in black and white. Then, a short while after you lift up the pen (and the time period is configurable), it refreshes and shows the correct color.

Edit 2: Also, it frequently misses the first pen stroke after opening OneNote. Youtube video uploading.

Edit 3: Optimization off is also faster (but you'll see in my video that I ran into palm rejection issues still).

Edit 4: There's something weird going on with line thickness though in the 'scribble' version before it updates. It's inconsistent between the different pen types and doesn't always match what is set in OneNote.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    Tams and Marty like this.
  10. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    Tams, Marty, dellaster and 1 other person like this.