Boot time improvement using system config.

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Val'R Dunin, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Val'R Dunin

Val'R Dunin Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everybody.
    I just found out and used this tweak, and it reduced significantly the boot time of my hp2500. (vista home premium x64, SP2)
    Maybe the advanced users are aware of it, but for those noobs like me...here it is:

start/run
    type msconfig, press run
    The system configuration window opens.
    go to Boot tab and click advanced options
    check number of processors select 2 and hit ok, apply and exit the system config.
    Reboot and see how it goes.

PS
    From the system config you can also disable some services and startup items but be aware that you have to now what you are doing.;)

2. chetjan

chetjan Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been told this helps before, but I still do not get why it is not set as a default. (Though one won't notice much of an improvement because the boot time on laptops is usually limited by the rpm of the harddrive)

3. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

I've tried both these before and they don't really assist boot time, they just reduce the amount of time to a useful desktop.

4. kanehi

kanehi Scribbler - Standard Member

Some sites say it's a smoke screen since multicore CPUs are active prior to booting Windows. No significant speed difference but I have it activated anyways. You can also improve performance in disabling some startup programs in config.

5. Val'R Dunin

Val'R Dunin Pen Pal - Newbie

That might be a good point.
    But for me that's a improvement too.:)
    I wouldn't have posted the tweak if I didn't notice a diference.
    I did not counted the seconds but i think that it shortens (on my tablet) the boot time to useful desktop to around 2 thirds from the previous time.

I saw that too, and I cannot explain the difference.

I guess it depends on some factors I do not now.

I didn't saw any reviews that mention that this tweak could affect the stability of the machine so I guess It's not harmful to try it.:)