Boot from USB? 500t

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by spinedoc77, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Solom01

Solom01 Scribbler - Standard Member

That may be part of the problem in trying to help each other with these units. Samsung seems to have an insane number of variation of the 500. As far as I know, the units sold in Canada tend to not have the s-pen. In the US if you get one with wireless (ATT) there is no s-pen, but you get gps. Other retailers in the US have models that have the s-pen, but no cell connectivity, no gps and even though it claims to have NFC I've read in various places that there is no antena for the NFC, so it's basically not usable. What model is yours, did you purchase it in the US or elsewhere?

2. JDTagish

JDTagish Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, that's awesome that you have the S-Pen! The silo for it is on the ATIV? The reviews I saw of them from a month or so ago didn't have the silo or pen. I do also understand that the AT&T version does have GPS, while the regular one uses WiFi triangulation for location services. NFC so far just seems "gimmicky" to me and hasn't gotten to a genuinely useful state. I suppose some of the TEC tiles that can do things like turn off WiFi & BT, turn on/off the ringer and set an alarm, if you made a tile for that and put it on your nightstand or something could have it's uses, but since it's easy enough to do those things manually, I don't really feel a "lack" by not having the NFC enabled on the ATIV. I'd think it more useful on a phone than a tablet anyway.

3. BlueBadger

BlueBadger Pen Pal - Newbie

I noticed that Win7 x86 does not have bootmgr.efi

What if we used bootmgr, bootmgr.efi, and efi dir from Win8 x86 and
    setup.exe, autorun.inf, and source dir from Win7 x86 ?

4. BlueBadger

BlueBadger Pen Pal - Newbie

I created a UEFI bootable Win7 32-bit USB drive.
    I can get to Win 7 setup. It's asking for a storage driver - "Intel SD Host Controller".

I started with a Win8 32-bit USB drive.
    I replaced the Win8 setup.exe and sources/ with the Win7 versions.
    Using dism.exe (in sources/), I created a new source/boot.wim by starting with the Win8 source/boot.wim.
    In the second drive of the sources/boot.wim, I replaced setup.exe and sources/ from the Win7 sources/boot.wim

Something like:

copy Win8-32-Install\sources\boot.wim boot.wim
    md boot
    md boot7

Mount the WIMs

dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:boot.wim /index:2 /MountDir:boot
    dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:Win7-32-Install\sources\boot.wim /index:2 /MountDir:boot7 /readonly

Copy stuff

del boot\setup.exe
    del boot\sources

copy boot7\setup.exe boot
    xcopy boot7\sources /S boot

I fixed some permissions using icacls and explorer to more or less match the orig.

Then commit the changes

dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:boot /commit
    dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:boot7 /discard

Hopefully I can find some drivers.

5. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Keep us posted. :)

6. keggo

keggo Pen Pal - Newbie

Not sure if this has been resolved, but in the BIOS of my 700T, I enabled UEFI boot and Legacy USB.

I had created a bootable, UEFI NTFS USB key... On the exit screen of the BIOS, there is an option for boot override. Use the volume up or down to highlight, and the lock button to select. I hope this helps you!

7. HoocherMoocher

HoocherMoocher Pen Pal - Newbie

Managed to boot the following (only) way:
    1. Flash a Win8x32 Setup-DVD ISO file onto USB drive using Rufus V1.3.2 (free) , choose GPT under "file system".
    2. Reboot the system while pressing F10 until a blue box with options appear.
    3. Choose enter setup to go into CMOS/BIOS (Maybe needed for the USB drive to have enough time to initilize ?!).
    4. Press F10 to Save settings in CMOS.
    5. Immediately press F10 for a few seconds until a blue box with options appear, your USB should appear there as UEFI device.

Didn't need steps 3-4 For newer hardware (USB drive).

All the best, and good luck !

8. Laney

Laney Pen Pal - Newbie

I know this is an old thread but I'm having the same problem that Ravynmagi is having and I hope someone can help me. This is also my first post here.

I have the Samsung 500T Tablet, I need to connect an external CD drive and an Ethernet cable. To do this I need to use a USB hub since this tablet has only one usb port. The external CD drive and the Ethernet cable must be plugged in at the same time so that Win8 x32 bit will begin the install from the CD, then the Ethernet picks up the install and completes it over the corporate network.

The problem I'm having is trying to use the USB hub. The BIOS will not recognize the USB hub as a device. When I use an actual USB flash drive the tablet will recognize this and show the device in the BIOS but it will not recognize the hub....or the external CD drive for that matter.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks
    Laney

9. KBJ911

KBJ911 Pen Pal - Newbie

to boot from usb

you need to disable FastBoot from the bios

10. sigan

sigan Pen Pal - Newbie

I have 500T with dock. I checked and can confirm that:
    1. BIOS is compatible only with some of USB sticks. Currently, 50% of my flash drives BIOS even don't recognize.
    2. BIOS do not want to boot from USB inserted to port in the tablet itself, but allows only to boot from ports in dock station.

After that I was able to boot from flash. Also please mind, that there is 32 bit (x86) UEFI, currently only Windows 8 supports x86 UEFI.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015