Boot from USB? 500t

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by spinedoc77, Nov 23, 2012.

1. khtam

khtam Pen Pal - Newbie

Can everyone tell us which USB sticks work and which don't? (big brands)

I have created a recovery USB using the "recovery drive" function in Windows 8.1. However, after trying to use various Fat32 USB drives, I couldn't get the tablet to boot up via the recovery USB. I've already selected the device to boot from USB in BIOS, but all the tablet does is keeps restarting. The recovery USBs worked fine on other computers.

2. sp33d

sp33d Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know if someone already posted a solution, because I do not have the time to read through the whole thread.
    After a long talk to the Samsung support hotline and about three or four redirections I have got the solution to boot from USB:
    1. Shut down your ATIV Tab
    2. Power on your tab and spam F10
    3. Choose the Setup option
    4. Navigate to Advanced in the setup menu and disable Fast BIOS Mode
    5. Navigate to Boot in the setup menu and disable Secure Boot
    6. Save your settings - your Tab will reboot
    7. Plug in your USB device and spam F10 again
    8. You should now be able to choose your USB device and boot from it
    9. If it doesn't work this way, try selecting CSM OS instead of UEFI OS in the Boot section
    For me it worked this way. I was able to do a backup and a restore with CloneZilla and everything seemed to be alright.

Jan Hoekstra and Druid like this.
  3. prasila

prasila Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I just registered here just to post my solution.

I have a XE500T1C-A01TR version and I couldn't find any way to make it boot from USB. I Don't have the option to disable Fast BIOS Mode, I didn't managed to see any bootable-usb devices (even FAT32 ones), so, almost when to let go this concern, it came in my mind to try one last thing and it worked!

You can always get to the Troubleshoot Startup (for example go to power settings, and while press restart hold the shift key), anyway you have to get Command Prompt option (from "that menu": Troubleshoot>Advanced Options>Command Prompt). <-- Make sure you already have the bootable-USB placed.
    After command prompt is launched, you trype: D: or E: to get to your USB and verify you're there using dir after each attempt. When you see the list with your copied-windows-files, you aim for "setup.exe" and execute it from there.
    I've done that and currently I'm at 67% installing Windows 8.1 :)
    My last bootable USB was FAT32 but I guess it works with NTFS also.

Sorry for my English, but I hope it helps :)

4. supertech

supertech Pen Pal - Newbie

So boot to the windows manager then advance and advance again open up your command prompt navigate to UBS stick (mine was d: then type setup

5. tabletluke

tabletluke Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Prasila,
    Thanks for sharing your solution.
    Could you please tell me something about the drivers after having installed Windows 8.1 from scratch this way?

6. Tobias Claren

Tobias Claren Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried this, but it does not work.
    I have a extern LG USB DVD with Windows10Home32, and a bottable USB Stick with Windows 10 Home 32.
    Nothing.

7. Jan Hoekstra

Jan Hoekstra Pen Pal - Newbie

8. skallo32

skallo32 Pen Pal - Newbie

9. ricc0

ricc0 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi
    I'm new here - couldn't find where to start a new thread but this will work . . . I hope
    I have a different problem - my 500t was getting flaky running win 10 32 bit so I reset it. Damn thing came up with it's own take of my log in name. Can't get a password in so I have no option to actually get into windoze.
    I've done the volume up/start, got into the bios - and haven't gotten any boot option except enable/disable secure boot. Disabling it did nothing.
    Restore, troubleshoot etc does nothing - still can't boot into windows. Won't recognize a dvd drive and USB boot isn't available.
    Do I have a $500 CAD doorstop now ??????????????
    Any help appreciated - did try to go my account live or whatever they call it and get a code but it still won't start.
    :(
    R

10. roee

roee Pen Pal - Newbie

i have a samsung 500t tab and in the cmd i choos to clean the main disk in order to install a new one and now whene i turne the computer on it turns on the bios automaticly and i have no boot options ?
    can i do somthing about it?
    pliz if you can help me