Boot from USB? 500t

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by spinedoc77, Nov 23, 2012.

1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was just experimenting and see the BIOS doesn't have many options, there is no option to boot from USB. I'd like to see if I can get a Hackintosh running on the 500t, would be kind of fun.

Anyone know if there is an option to boot from USB?

2. pcm2a

pcm2a Pen Pal - Newbie

On mine I can swipe from the right and pick settings. Under one of the menus is an option for an advanced restart. It says it is for booting from USB or DVD.

3. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have the same option

4. briandmiles

briandmiles Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same option but I can't get it to work. Another thread indicated a method but whether I use the option under settings or go directly into the BIOS the machine will not boot from the USB. I can see it in the BIOS options but it won't allow me to pick it and boot. I am trying to go back to Windows 7 because apparently a piece of software that I need absolutely will not install on Windows 8 or 8 pro.

All suggestions welcome.

Brian

5. docangle

docangle Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think you can, but if you do try, you should use a USB CDROM drive and you need to use a 32 Bit version of Windows 7, Processor wont support 64 Bit.

6. briandmiles

briandmiles Pen Pal - Newbie

All indications are that the machine can boot from usb. If you hold the up volume rocker and power on it takes you to the bios. Move over to security and turn off the secure boot. Once that is done it will recognized my thumbdrive. I can see it under "boot override" below "Windows boot manager" it says "UEFI: SanDisk" but if I hit Enter to select it it just refreshes the screen. When highlighting "windows boot manager" and hitting enter it gives the option to save and exit and then boots up from the main drive.

I made a bootable FAT32 Windows 7 USB drive but it simply won't take it.

Brian

7. kontrol1

kontrol1 Scribbler - Standard Member

Just started working with the system yesterday. I am having the exact same trouble. I am trying to ghost the drive but i can't boot from USB have. I have norton ghost on it. It works with my xp/win 7 and also worked with a win 8 samsung laptop. Here I cannot change the boot order so that the USB is the first one. Stuck at the moment.

8. kontrol1

So went to MS store. Nobody there knows any better. Most don't even know BIOS. Please update if anybody is able to boot from USB.

If anybody has been able to change the boot order also in BIOS please let us know.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  9. zebster

zebster Pen Pal - Newbie

I need that too... I tried with a Win8 Bootusb pen, Linux usb pen and nothing...
    I have to try with boot cd.

10. podspi

podspi Pen Pal - Newbie

I can confirm that I successfully booted from a Windows 8 install CD. Was not able to boot from anything else.

11. kontrol1

Did you have to change boot order in BIOS or it automatically picked it up? If you did change how?

12. zebster

zebster Pen Pal - Newbie

I was able to boot from an usb pen. A recovery disk made from the recovery partition,
    My guess is we can only boot from windows 8 boot disks. The win 7 and win xp disk didn't boot, neither the linux one.

13. msgnyc

msgnyc Pen Pal - Newbie

I was able to boot a fedora 17 usb stick made with unetbootin just once.
    Once the unetbootin menu came up however it would not boot/load up fedora. It said there was no media found for some reason.
    Tried multiple times since then to no avail.

14. zebster

zebster Pen Pal - Newbie

In a xe500 or xe700?
    I'll try that, i never got into the ubuntu/whatever boot menu.

15. msgnyc

msgnyc Pen Pal - Newbie

500. Only got unetbootin to load up like once, maybe twice with fedora but it said nothing was on the usb drive so I tried Ubuntu and never got unetbootin to boot again. No idea why.

From the metro UI bring up the right side menu then goto setting>change pc settings>general>advance startup and the boot from usb drive showed there

{edited} ok, I take back what I said. It is not unetbootins loader that is coming up. It is Fedoras GRUB bootloader that boots, but upon verifying the usb or tryiing to load Fedora I receive "Error 15 File not found". Same results using unetbootin, LiLi USB Creator and Fedoras Live USB Creator. No luck with any of the 3 trying to get Ubuntu to load. Just boot ups W8. Hopefully they'll have this worked out by the time Fedora 18 gets out of beta.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  16. OnenoteLover

OnenoteLover Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,

same here: Ativ 500T and no possibility to boot from any bootable USB device be it True Image 2013 or Windows 8 recovery boot stick.
    Switching off secure boot in Bios doesnt help.

For me being able to boot from USB is essential. Will contact Samsung support about that now. I guess they need to give us more options in BIOS.

This is especially bad as True Image 2013 doesnt install on the device - quits with bluescreen.

Cheers,
    Felix

17. zebster

zebster Pen Pal - Newbie

I was able to boot from a fedora boot usb stick but i'm getting the same error...

18. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone else not even have the option to boot from USB? When I go to Advanced Start Up, I just see Continue, Troubleshoot, and Turn off your PC. And I can't find any option to boot to USB under Troubleshoot.

I tried disabling Secure Boot and changing the option below it to Custom (forget the name of the setting at the moment).

Had the USB DVD Rom plugged into the keyboard dock, but also tried it directly plugged into the tablet. The USB DVD Rom works in Windows. I'm just trying to boot from the Windows 8 Pro DVD.

19. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Did you try:
    Charm bar, parameters, modify PC parameters, General, Advanced starting, Restart
    (translated from my French windows 8)

20. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, Charms, Change PC Settings, General, Advanced Startup, Restart now.
    Under Advanced Startup there is some text that says... "Start up from a device or disc (such as a USB drive or DVD)". But after I click the Restart Now button, I have no option for booting from USB. I've tried using two different USB DVD drives, they both worked within Windows. Just no option to boot from them. Or really any option to boot from anything else.