Book2 using bitlocker?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by mgerbasio, Feb 23, 2019.

1. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm running Windows 10S and wanted some feedback from anyone that enabled bitlocker on this PC. Any hit in performance or battery? I'd especially like to use it on my sd card.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Wow, thanks for the question, I didn't realize these come with bitlocker off by default! :eek: Don't know about the possible performance hit.

3. mgerbasio

Just asked the question on the MS Windows forum. Let you know if I hear anything.

JoeS likes this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wow, I missed that too. Even though my sample shipped with pro installed, bitlocker is turned off. Well since its sample for testing purposes, I'm turning it on this morning and I'll report what if anything I notice

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ok, real quick info, with the following caveats. It's one device that's been in use for a few months so not optimized in anyway and its not from any formal benchmark like crystal disk (which I don't trust at the moment given my experience with it on my go)

Also I don't have an SD card at the moment to test

Test one: Multiple ~1GB files copied on the internal disk, about 6GB in total
    Bitlocker off: 2 minutes 23 seconds
    Bitlocker on : 2 minutes 44 seconds

Test Two: duplicate Thousand plus very small files (about 100k to 300K each)
    Bitlocker off: 81 seconds
    Bitlocker on: 107 seconds

Conclusions based on that very limited test, virtually no impact on read speeds (which is where you might see it with large files). About 7-9% impact on write speeds which is more likely to show on small files versus read speeds.

The other unanswered question is why Samsung is leaving it off on shipping units. It could be possible bugs in the current windows build or simply that they just don't enable it by default on consumer systems (which is what HP does on things like their pavilions)

I also don't have a regular intel based Samsung system at the moment to compare. It would be interesting to see if it's on or off on those systems.

PS: not much point in trying to copy files from an external usb drive as my experience is that the USB interface on the GB2 would be the limiting factor as it's not real fast.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    JoeS likes this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yeah, I turned mine on immediately as well. Only thing I noticed is that charging was remarkably slow despite basically no CPU or network activity. Perhaps the encrypting of previously unencrypted data is a power intensive process? Either way, now that it's - presumably - done, the system seems to behave as before. I didn't do any before/after benchmarking though.

Edit: @desertlap to the rescue, see one post up :D

7. mgerbasio

I also activated it on mine and don't notice a difference in my usage. I think there was a problem with bitlocker in a version before 1809, I didn't dig in much and they might have left it disabled because of that. When I activated it, I didn't get a message to store, print or backup to my MS account my bitlocker keys nor was I asked for a password. these were options when I enabled bitlocker on a Win10 Pro Surface Pro and earlier.

Is there any way to use bitlocker on a microSD card or do I need to enable it from my desktop on the card then bring it to my Book2?

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Bitlocker only works on SD card if you have Pro version of windows.

9. mgerbasio

Well that's a bad idea but thanks for the information. If I activate it on the card in Pro, can I then use it with 10S?

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I don't know for sure because I've never used W10S (I do use Pro) but I think you should be able to access files on the SD card. Maybe someone else can confirm that.