book scanning

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by leaftye, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

You need to check your assumptions at the door. I do it to keep luggage on my motorcycle to a minimum. I don't need a fat bundle of weight screwing up my handling.

Also, adf scanners aren't very good, but if the Fujitsu Scansnap scanned to png images it would be perfect.

That's 100% illegal. My textbooks are still acquired legally. What I do to it while it's legally in my possession is my business so long as it doesn't result in the illegal distribution of books to others. Copyrights are a money thing. The difference between scanning which we're talking about here and the illegal downloads that you brought up is that the first results in the publisher getting paid just as much as they would if the book wasn't scanned and the latter results in the publisher losing money.

2. tsttm

tsttm Pen Pal - Newbie

3. leaftye

That's pretty cool, but very bulky too.

As far as scanning goes, I've found another trick.....removing channels. I've been buying books lately that have writing and highlighting. I've found that most highlighting can be removed by extracting the red color channel, and that blue ink can be extracted by removing the blue channel. Of course this only works on pages without colors, but it still works pretty well.

On pages with highlighting, here's what I've been doing as a batch program in XnView:
    1. Extract red channel
    2. Set levels to 85 black, 200 white
    3. Reduce colors to 8 bit color
    4. Set levels to 10 black, 245 white

The last step usually isn't necessary, but the books I'm working on right now are printed on brown paper. This last step makes sure that the background is completely white (255,255,255). A pure white background helps save power by providing better contrast so that the screen brightness doesn't have to be turned up as high.

I've also been scanning a larger page area and cropping it via the batch program in XnView. This prevents the need to adjust the scanned area later, while still allowing me to have a consistent page sizes in the final pdf.

4. leaftye

Oh yeah, I'm hoping someone will pick one of these up. It's very similar to the Fujitsu Snapscan S510, but I know the Fujitsu does not scan to png files....I'm hoping the Epson does. Also, the Epson looks to scan at 600 dpi at the same speed that the Fujitsu scans at 300 dpi.

Epson WorkForce Pro GT-S50

[​IMG]

The big features are that it has two sensors to scan both sides of a page at the same time, so you get duplexing at the same speed as simplex. It has a 75 page feeder, versus the 50 page feeder in the Fujitsu. It has LED lighting, so startup times are instantaneous. Finally, it does 25 pages per minute....over three times faster than my fastest speeds with an Opticbook 3600. Oh wait, the most important part may be that it has user serviceable parts, specifically the rollers can be replaced.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.