book scanning

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by leaftye, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I paid around, as far as I remember, 300 Euro.

How long, to be honest, I don't know. I scan a few pages, take a break or continue the next day when I have time again. But it takes a while. I don't think you can scan a 1000 page heavy book at once in one day, it's just too heavy to flip around all the time.

2. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Woof

I have some ideas for a home made book holder to allow for camera scanning. The idea is a stand that has a hinged glass plate which can close over the page. When locked into place it will allow the whole page to be flat, and with a few easy additions the book and be quickly and consistently positioned. The design uses a floating hinge to allow for various thicknesses as you progress through the book. Hopefully in about 3 weeks I can start some work on this.

3. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I can scan an entire 1000+ page book in a day with my Opticbook, but it helps a lot if the pages are crisp and the book is a hardcover. Thin pages and a floppy cover make it very difficult to flip the book around. Unfortunately age is making it painful for me to flip big heavy books....my wrists will hurt for days after scanning a batch of big books.

4. schmolch

schmolch Scribbler - Standard Member

You guys seriously need to check your math.
    You waste a whole day to scan a stupid book?

Cut the pages, put them into a feeder and you are done in 1 hour.
    Make a backup and throw the stupid paper into the bin.
    A cheap 150$ officejet is fine for that.

You do all this work just to save a couple of bucks?
    Thats not worth it even if you have the lowest paid job.

Another thing, if you scan anything popular like college textbooks go check gigapedia first. If a electronic version of a book exists (either from the publisher or scanned) you can find it there (download-links visible after free registration. Yes i know its warez but we are already talking about scanning here.).

5. rod88

rod88 Pen Pal - Newbie

Sometimes I want to scan a book that I borrowed from a friend or from a library. These books also can be very expensive. But it's not just about saving "a couple of books," it's about preserving the original material for further consultation if needed.

And I don't see how scanning books is related to warez. As far as I know, warez is the illegal distribution of copyrighted material. Which is not the case here.

6. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have to agree with rod88. I scanned a whole physics book which I've borrowed from the library.
    I also scanned my physics script, which they only offer in printed pages. I can't remove the binding, because I also have to use the script in the exams.
    Then I don't want to scan a whole book everytime. Sometimes I only have to scan one page.
    My sister studies german language, and thus also has to do with a lot of books. Most of her books are borrowed or can't even bought any longer. If she needs a few pages scanned then the Plustek scanner is the only option.

I also scan one or two books in a year, but more often do I scan single pages, sheets of paper or other stuff. So the Plustek is the better way for me.

The perfect scanner would be the Plustek OpticBook + ADF.

7. schmolch

schmolch Scribbler - Standard Member

Books are copyrighted. You make a copy of a book you do not own. You distribute it illegally to yourself. You are breaking the copyright.

Did you ever look at the first pages of any book where it says: "No part of this book may be reproduced, stored or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, scanning or otherwise"?

8. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Woof

There are also often times educational releases on materials for copyright.

I also think its worth the time because I travel almost every weekend of the semester so I can take just my tablet, instead of having to carry 15lbs of books with me as well.

9. Venus

Venus Pen Pal - Newbie

For my purposes FineReader has been the best option.
    Concerning books I've heard there is a special software like OptiBook or Book Port.

10. radioactif

radioactif Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

Have you tried Omnipage to adjust/OCR/bind your scans ? I've used it in a professional way and was quite happy with it, bought it 2 minutes ago (the student edition is €34 on amazon right now, sharing the deal info :D), and I plan to buy an OpticBook (sold around €200 in France).

Getting my hand dirty this summer :)

In case no one has any feedback on this software, I'll let the first one later.

However, the automatic recognition (ie. separating texts from graphics etc.) did work pretty well on clean files. Did not on old soviet files dealing with welding :D