Boogie Board Rip (review)

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by latinvixen, Nov 22, 2011.

1. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

Not sure if this one fully qualifies as a tablet but here is my quick insight on the new Boogie Board Rip.

I own the original boogie board and use it instead of sticky notes in my office. I like that I can write some daily notes then erase it when I need to get rid of it. Saves the clutter of papers all over. My issue though was the lack of being able to save. At times I want to keep some of those notes, or in my case small sketches as I pretty much sketch on everything when I can.

[​IMG]
    Boogie Board Rip by latinvixen02, on Flickr

A quick shot of my screen to show you exactly how the pdf file looks when I connect the boogie board rip to the computer. Not exactly the same but similar enough I could use this sketch, clean it up and color it if I wanted.

[​IMG]
    Boogie board on the computer by latinvixen02, on Flickr

The boogie board rip lets you save your written notes or sketches in a pdf format which works out really well in the long run. There is a downfall, the sketches you draw do not appear exactly the same when you connect the board to the computer. A little trial and error and I realized how to get it to work to my liking. I sketch light, then I go over the lines a bit darker so they show up more, this actually worked out well for the boogie board. The boogie board likes pick up the lines that you pressed a bit harder making it pretty neat to avoid all the tiny sketch lines from showing up. The whole point of something like this is like having a tiny sketchbook that has a lot of space for a lot of sketches. When you get home you can connect it to your mac or pc and then dump out the sketches or note.

Here is another example of a quick lion head that I drew based on a simba toy I have. I quickly sketched it, and went over the lines I wanted the boogie board to really detect and saved it. Quick process and my sketch is saved. Once I am done I can hit erase and draw something else and continue to do this process over and over again.

[​IMG]
    Lion by latinvixen02, on Flickr

If you see some of the limitations you can easily adapt and see if this works for you. For me it works out really well. I can create some loose sketches when I am out and about, save it and bring them home. Scroll through the sketches see which I like best and ink/color and finish up the ones that are worthy for me. A fun little tablet be it for notes or sketches, not a bad buy.

Check them out if you can, I am guessing brookstones will carry if not already. I know they carry the cheaper ones without the save option.

A few more sketches can be seen here(will keep updating this section)
    Boogie Board Rip - a set on Flickr

Video soon :)

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

When you bring the pdf over in Photoshop, does the background come out as transparency or is it filled with white?

3. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

Transparent.

4. kimck99

kimck99 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

Would you mind providing examples of text that is saved to PDF? I am interested in the RIP primarily for note taking and curious about how text is saved.

Thanks.

5. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

Here you go, quick little test.

[​IMG]
    Writing on the boogie board by latinvixen02, on Flickr

and how it looks once you transfer the file over to the computer.

[​IMG]
    How it shows up on the computer by latinvixen02, on Flickr

It missed a little bit on the "b" but apart from that it does a really nice job recording your notes.

If you have any other questions just ask.

6. kimck99

kimck99 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks! Very much appreciate the sample. I have read reviews (limited in number) and the lines do like a little thick for text. How are you at controlling the thicknes of the lines in text and having it show up in PDF. I am a bit concerned that if you tried to write with thinner lines, the text won't appear in PDF.

I tried out the 10.5" model at Brookstone and I like the thickness (or shall I say thinness) of the lines it produced. However, the RIP seem to be a tad thicker.

7. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

One issue with the way it transfers line information is that is looses all pressure sensitivity that has been applied to the sketch or notes (I tend to write with a varying thickness or draw to make it more interesting). So for example if I applied less pressure the lines would probably not show up. With that being said lines only appear in one thickness level.

8. kimck99

kimck99 Pen Pal - Newbie

Appreciate the updated information. I am torn as I am and have been looking for a solution to just take notes and save. I have a tabletpc and I don't it like the lag of the stylus on MS OneNote.

I thought about Wacom Inkling but I don't like the idea of writing on paper to and then transfer files. That means I have to take a note pad and I'm to live the digital world :).

Thanks again.

9. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

A small observation while tinkering with it today.

[​IMG]

Drew this guy real quick and went over the lines a bit more than I usually do when I sketch on paper. I tend to do a lot of continuos lines when I am doing a generic critter that is relatively easy to sketch. I did this one a bit sketchier going over the lines a bit more and doing smaller strokes compared to larger one time strokes. The smaller repetitive strokes worked out better and the line work passed over a bit nicer and more like my initial picture.

Best example would be the hair where I did a bunch of little strokes when sketching compared to the mouth where I did one continuous stroke. With the one continuous stroke some information was lost, seeing as I vary in pressure when drawing meaning the boogie board may not read it when saving.

[​IMG]

Just an observation I wanted to note :)

10. kimck99

kimck99 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks again for answering my questions. I think I'll purchase it even though the PDF capture seem to be 'finicky". I guess one will eventually learn how much pressure is required to have consistent text.

Much appreciated!