bluetooth keyboards for V8P for $20-30?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by 8inches, Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benny90

benny90 Scribbler - Standard Member

That's interesting that you mention this. I was actually looking at it yesterday, wondering if it would work. It looks like one of the better solutions available and its nice to hear from someone that uses it for the DV8P that it does in fact work.

What keys did you need to remap? It looks like a better layout than many of the other 8" keyboards out there, especially the Dell one, considering this one has all the essentials as regular keys.

Any chance you could take a few pictures with the tablet in it?

2. St. Lamar

St. Lamar Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi, 8inches - AutoKey worked a charm. I remapped Home to ESC and the right WIN key to DEL. This makes me a happy camper. :hi2:

If anybody is interested, the entirety of the script is:

Code:
    #InstallKeybdHook
    SC132::Escape
    SC15C::DEL

kanelode and Solitude like this.
  3. mgbigair

mgbigair Pen Pal - Newbie

4. JacobH

JacobH Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been using the Microsoft Wedge keyboard and like it a lot. It comes with a case that can be used as an adjustable stand. It was just over $30 from Amazon warehouse (like new condition). It seemed brand new when it came.

5. 8inches

8inches Scribbler - Standard Member

@St. Lamar. Glad it worked for you. I was a little skeptical if it works inside Metro apps. Guess it works for you?

BTW, from other reviews. The Lenovo S6000 keyboard also works pretty well. It was as low as $21 a couple weeks ago.

Amazon.com: Lenovo S6000 Bluetooth Keyboard (888015122): Computers & Accessories

It is not very clear to me if there is an Esc key. But there is definitely a Forward Del.

6. St. Lamar

St. Lamar Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not sure which metro app I'd test it in. :) Seriously, I don't share my contacts or other personal information with OneDrive and there's no metro Notepad.

7. SuperiorWitt

SuperiorWitt Pen Pal - Newbie

Sure(and ill answer the other questions in the morning):

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Attached Files:

8. SuperiorWitt

SuperiorWitt Pen Pal - Newbie

Its not flush to the device at the bottom. But this is by design, otherwise the notches would takeup small portions of the screen at the bottom. There is also an adhesive I had to remove within those tiny clamps, to allow the tablet to slide in.

And disregard the raggedy screen protector. Its a temp one to test out the matte texture with the active pen.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Attached Files:

9. benny90

benny90 Scribbler - Standard Member

Got my I-THINKER Bluetooth keyboard in from Amazon today. Thanks SuperiorWitt for the pics and confirming my suspicion that it would work well with the DV8P so I wouldn't have to worry about canceling my order or having to return it when I got it.

I am very happy with it! IMO it's better than using a separate keyboard as it is much easier to carry around considering it is connected to the tablet. It's the same size as the DV8P and super light. Absolutely better than the Dell keyboard for a few crucial reasons. One, and the most important for me, is that all the important keys are regular keys. No need to FN just to add an apostrophe and other weird quirks that the Dell keyboard has. Another is that with this you basically have a super mini laptop! It sits on the desk perfectly and closes up like a normal clamshell notebook would (no need to carry around a separate accessory, or cover up the DV8P with a case, I like mine nekked :D ). Also, belly surfing FTW. And another huge plus for this is it's price, only $24!

Like SuperiorWitt showed in his pictures, the DV8P is basically a perfect fit, only about a 1/4 inch or so extending on the sides. No mods required, it slips right in and stops right at the bottom of the posts at the front. Which is interesting, because that is the perfect spot to where the posts won't cover the screen as well as the exact spot where it need to be to line up exactly with the keyboard when folded. A perfect coincidence. It also fits in nice and snug, you can hold the DV8P and shake it without the keyboard falling off (its super light as well), yet is easily removed. You can wake the tablet by hitting any key then the space bar to get it to the Start screen from sleep. The cmd key acts just like the Windows key would, bringing you to the home screen or back to your last used app. The 'home key' (for iPad users) launches the browser, which is actually a nice feature. Arrow keys are present and very useful for scrolling a webpage or in Word documents (as well as writing this). It is missing an Escape key as far as I can tell, but using the cmd (Windows) key works for me so far. I don't feel as though I miss it but, If needed I can install a key remapping app. The only thing I find myself missing is a touchpad, sometimes moving my thumb to the middle of the palm rest thinking I'm going to move a cursor around since it feels so much like a little laptop now. The layout is pretty small but easy to adjust to.

Overall, for $24, I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I now have a super mini laptop when I need to type something out on the go. And with a pull I have my nekked DV8P ready to go all by itself without fuss. Perfect.

I got the blue one to blend in with the DV8P. I'll toss up a couple pics when I get a chance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  10. PECgem

PECgem Scribbler - Standard Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.