Bluetooth hardware not detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by daver, Sep 30, 2007.

1. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member

Hiya folks,

I'm running Vista Ultimate right now on my TC4400, and it's running really great. So far I haven't had any real hardware issues: the occasional keyboard fiasco, but that's about it. However, I'm going to be temporarily moving out of my apartment for a short while, and I don't want to have to bring all my computer stuff with me.

My problem is that my bluetooth module isn't detected by Windows Vista. For example, in the "Device Manager" Windows doesn't show any evidence of having a bluetooth radio. Is there any way to force install a driver or something so that I can get my Bluetooth working? I plan on using my Bluetooth to sync my Treo to my tablet, so I don't have to bring so many cables with me while I'm away from home.

What weirds me out is that in the Control Panel, there is that "Bluetooth Devices" application that supposedly detects nearby BLuetooth devices. I'm assuming that having Bluetooth and using the "Bluetooth Devices" application are two completely separate things.

By the by, I'd really appreciate some help as soon as possible, as I'll be moving out in the next few weeks (around the 2nd week of Oct) :)

Thanks!
    daver

2. daver

anybody?

you mean to tell me that nobody has had troubles with bluetooth before?

3. daver

still nobody?

i udnerstand that there have been driver issues with Vista and bluetooth, so would this be one of them?

4. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi daver,

Note: I have not tried these instructions, thus your mileage may vary.

I don't have Bluetooth, nor Vista, but you were asking about forcing a driver to be installed - have you tried going to the Control Panel then Add Hardware? Then when presented with the question of whether the hardware device is connected or not, click Yes, then next. Then a list appears, and scroll all the way down to the bottom and select "Add a new hardware device" then next. Select Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced), click next. Select Network adapters, next. Under Microsoft, select Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI), next. Then it installs. Hopefully it finds and installs and puts the bluetooth hardware device in the device manager.

Have you also tried getting Windows, irregardless of whether it shows up in the device manager or not, to find and discover bluetooth-enabled devices? Check this Vista Help article out.

5. daver

I've tried that route, but I didn't know which of the hardware it was listed under. As you know, there's a billion different hardware vendors in that list, with another billion other things listed under those as well. I just got lost at that point. So I'm willing to try about anything that doesn't mean voiding a warranty or killing myself.

I've just completed exactly what you said, and it got through the "installation" of the new hardware. at the end, it gave me an error "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". but at least for now it shows up in my Device Manager. that's a start.

i'm going to try and install the Bluetooth driver provided by HP now. i'll update with my status soon.

i did try this before. Windows would try to find a bluetooth device, and then come up empty-handed each time.

6. daver

UPDATE:

SUCCESS!!! I've managed to get the Bluetooth module working in Vista.

The solution? Surprisingly, by installing the HP Wireless Assistant program for Windows XP I was able to get things running. As it turns out, upon turning on the Bluetooth module (once you've installed the HPWA program), Vista auto-detects the Bluetooth module and installs the needed drivers.

With this, I can now leave behind my USB cable for my Treo on trips and can sync/connect to the internet with my phone via Bluetooth.

7. Roshin

Roshin Pen Pal - Newbie

I am having the same problem....Can you please tell me exactly what you have done....Thanks in advance.....Every single step if possible

8. daver

read my previous post very carefullly. i fully stated that the XP version of the HP Wireless Assistant works perfectly with Vista. basically, don't use the Vista version of the HP Wireless Assistant. that's all there is to it.

9. Roshin

Roshin Pen Pal - Newbie

Where to get the XP version

10. Roshin

Roshin Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes i tried that...but it didnt work....can u tell me anything more abt the problem...can i have ur mail id

11. jinxngoblins

jinxngoblins Mainak

I have installed the required drivers in my system from the installation CD. when i try to plugin the Blue tooth device i dont get any 'New hardware found' message. The software BlueSoleIL in my system does not have any options to configure enabled.
    I have opened my LAN card from my P3 machine. Is this one of the reason why my blue tooth is not detected?

12. daver

what kind of bluetooth device do you have?

i don't recall ever getting any CDs from HP with drivers on them, so perhaps you've got a different setup than mine. i simply downloaded the Bluetooth driver (for Windows XP, not Vista) from the HP homepage. have you tried that? also, why are you using your LAN card from another laptop, when the TC4400 has its own?

13. gayathri.m

gayathri.m Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

Even I have the same problem.I try to built an application USB-Bluetooth(dongle) on WINCE 4.2 IDE in C langauge.

It showing the error 10050 bluetooth hardware (controller) not found. Please give me the sugetion on this.And also this is the first time I am using wince tool. Please help me to use this tool