Bluebeam PDF Revu

Discussion in 'Software' started by ChrisRS, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

You sure are right about that. Back then there were a couple things I wanted. The two big ones that I remember were the ability to delete contiguous strokes with one touch of the eraser, and for there to be a fullscreen mode.

I'm sorry I missed this until now. Now I think PDF Revu has everything I want, plus a bunch of other features that I might be able to utilize.

There's a reason I came back to this thread though: Bluebeam is raising prices for their next version. This is from their e-mail newsletter. If you buy the current version, you can upgrade to version 9 at no additional cost. They do not say what features are coming, so now is the time if you're happy with the current feature-set, but a bit of a gamble if you're hoping for upcoming features. Unfortunately I will be waiting a little longer to upgrade. They now have what I wanted for a long time, but I haven't had a reason to annotate lately, so I can't even begin to justify the cost. I'll upgrade when my situation changes.

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

thank you leafty for this valuable information.

I always considered buying the latest version, but wanted to wait until version 9 gets released.

So now you gave me enough reasons to buy the latest version :) I just have to find out what's the best way, because I'm a student and not in the US.

3. kaharvey2

kaharvey2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Reviving the thread because I have a question.
    I have downloaded the trial version of pdf annotator and revu.

The main annoyance I have with revu is the lag time from writing on the tablet with the pen to actually putting it in permanent writing. When I first write on the tablet, it comes up as grey, scratchy material that looks like a bunch of dots. A few seconds later it will set as ink.
    I went to preferences-tablet-pen commitment interval and set it to 0 ms. This helped but did not fix the problem.

I contrast this to pdf annotator, where it writes directly with ink the moment you write with it (no scratchy, dim thing), which I greatly prefer.

I like pdf annotator because of its simplicity (I'm not doing much with it) and would just use that but it does not come with an equivalent of Bluebeam Stapler. I REALLY like the Bluebeam stapler. I haven't found an equivalent with pdf annotator. Maybe if I play around with annotator I will do something similar but I like Stapler. Is there any other similar products out there? If there are, I would just buy annotator and not use Revu.
    I mainly like how I can open stapler and put in a bunch of word documents and it will put them together in a pdf whereas I cannot open a word doc in annotator (at least it didn't let me). I would hate to buy revu just to use it for the Stapler.

4. Frank

something is not right with your Revu installation. The behaviour is not normal. Normally it should give you the same ink experience OneNote offers. So no grey dotted lines.

What pen commitment interval does:
    PDF revu records your ink strokes, as soon as you stop inking for a short time, like the time you need to move from the end of the currently written word to a new word, which is the time you can define in pen commitment interval, it groups each ink stroke to one markup and stores it in the markup list. Later, if you select ink you'll see that it selects whole words or even more, it selects groups of ink strokes. So if you set the pen commitment interval to 0ms it creates for each stroke a new markup and will create a huge markup list. Additionally it will slow down after a few pages full with ink and selecting ink is cumbersome, so it's not recommended.
    I use a pen commitment interval of 600ms, so a single or two words get grouped to one markup.

However, all this has nothing to do with your bug. It's a bug, because it's not its normal behaviour.

Things you can try:
    - Ask Bluebeam, maybe they know a solution already
    - Try to reinstall PDR Revu, what version do you use (x86 or x64 and what OS version?)
    - Try an updated pen driver.
    - Does it also happen if you use the mouse and 'draw' a line or is it only so slow while using the pen?
    - try to turn of pressure sensitivity in PDF Revu (tablet settings). It must work with, but maybe your pen driver is incompatible right now.

5. kaharvey2

I turned off pressure sensitivity and it solved the problem of the gray lines. Thanks for your help.[/QUOTE]

There are not gray lines but there is still a difference between the time I originally write something and the time it sets. It's not dotted/gray but it doesn't look as "nice." I fixed the problem by setting the pen commitment to 0.
    I don't select markups so I don't care if there is a long list of markups. But how does it slow down? The program in general or how the pen writes?

6. Frank

You shouldn't notice a difference while inking if you set different pen commitment intervals.
    I can't comment on their latest PDF Revu version, because I use version 7. If the markup list got huge (really huge) the program slowed down by doing actions like 'Undo' or 'Eraser'. You can fix it by keeping the markup list smaller.
    You do this with a normal pen commitment interval, something like 500ms so each word gets saved as one markup and not each stroke. But even then, after writing over 10 pages pure ink in PDF it still slows down, which can get fixed by flattening the markups. Maybe they've improved the performance in their latest version or you just haven't had so many markup entries yet. (I use PDF revu to take notes, not just annotate documents)

Regardless, for me PDF Revu offers the best inking experience. Personally I prefer it over OneNote, it's somehow 'smoother'.
    So try to get the 'bug' fixed to get the real pen experience on PDF Revu. PDF Revu must and should work with pressure sensitivity. It's most probably 'just' a driver issue, which can get solved with an updated driver or a different driver.
    So what tablet PC do you use? What pen driver do you use. Check for an driver-update for your specific model, remove the pen driver, reboot, install the update, reboot, test it again. If it didn't help, remove the pen driver again, reboot, install the original Wacom driver, reboot, test it again.
    If it does not help, try an older driver version, if it still doesn't work, or if you have to go back to an older version, make sure to report it Bluebeam, so they can release a fix for it.

7. kaharvey2

I have a lenovo x220t laptop and it's brand new so there shouldn't be a problem with anything (at least I would hope not).

I personally cannot stand onenote for note taking so I can't comment on that. I use pdf annotator and I think that is very smooth and very simple to use. I like its interface and menus better than revu. It obviously is lesser technology and you can't do as much on it but that's fine for me. (I only annotate the pdf and print directly from the pdf file. I do not export it to onenote or something so I have no problem with the bitmap ink.) The only thing I wish pdf annotator has that pdf revu does not is the Stapler.
    As for mark ups, I certainly won't be using 10 pages of pure notes. (If I needed to take 10 pages of notes I would be typing.) I just add notations to powerpoint slides that are in a pdf file. I do not want to save the ink into entire words. I like how pdf annotator pretty much saves it by letter (I have bad handwriting and end up erasing letters to make it more readable).
    So thank you for all your help with revu but I think I will stick with pdf annotator. If you find a replacement for Revu Stapler I would greatly appreciate it.

8. Fishface

Fishface Scribbler - Standard Member

Anybody know if they've fixed the silly "snap to vertical when you're trying to highlight horizontal text" misfeature?

9. MatthewSullivanMath

MatthewSullivanMath Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, Frank. Is there any way to make it remember to hide the scroll bar? When I press f9 to turn the menu off, it keeps the menu off next time I open it.

P.S. Does anyone know a good macro program that would allow me to combine multiple keyboard shortcuts into one? Everytime I use Bluebeam, I hit f9 for the menu, "alt + t" to hide my taskbar (Taskbar Eliminator) and open Pdffullscreenrevu.exe and click on the hide scroll button.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. Frank

It won't remember the scrollbar position. It's a hack, and not a feature of PDF Revu. With the small program I change the width of the scrollbar (I set it to zero to hide it) after PDF Revu started and initialized all of its window elements, this information does not get saved. There's no method to save this.

A tool which does perform hotkeys is AutoHotKey.

The alternative is to take my little program and modificate it for your needs. (It's written in Visual Basic 6.0, maybe you can code it, or can code a different language?) I can give you the source code if I haven't it posted somewhere already, or I even can modify it for your needs, but send me a PM for this (if you use XP it may be easy to hide the taskbar with Visual Basic, too, but I'm not too sure, because I don't have XP any longer)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.