Blender 2.8

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by doobiedoobiedum, Dec 31, 2018.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

About every 7-8 years I try Blender, uninstall it again and try something else. Promised interface improvements make things even less intuitive (version 2.5 I'm looking at you) but every version still opens up with
    1) that 3D cursor (Why? What other 3D software has ever proven the need for a 3D cursor?)
    2) A polygon cube that sometimes you can edit or delete before you start doing anything. Sometimes you can't

Other problems -
    1) Strange process to select / deselect objects
    2) Layers...... WTF?
    3) Manipulators - scale / move / transform - why do this SO differently from standard creative application software?

So, basically - if anyone has tried Blender 2.8 - is it any better or should I just wait another 2-3 years till my 7 year wait is up?

And don't get me started on zbrush's GUI.........

2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you tried Moment of Inspiration? It was designed for tablet use and is reasonably affordable. If they'd add parametric design to it, I'd probably buy a copy.

If you have access to an iPad Pro and Apple Pencil you owe it to yourself to try Shapr3D.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  3. doobiedoobiedum

A simple PC software freebie would be great - I want to block out complex interiors for drawing reference. I've used a wide range of 3D software in my past so I want simple things to work like they do in all programs - copy / paste and even scale objects with obvious manipulators etc.

Blender has always looked good but taking it's own unique path to do simple things never helped me. Sketchup is another which looks simple but does its own thing on a otherwise obvious operations just boggles my mind.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  5. doobiedoobiedum

Yeah thanks. Well, I've started the new year as I mean to go on - been doing a lot of drawing and today with my family away visiting grandparents I have sat and watched instruction videos all day...

Blender 2.8 is looking like where I will put my efforts this year. Apparently some common sense has struck and they are starting to conform to standard industry processes and operations . (left click to select at last and you can now hide that 3D cursor)

wytn likes this.
  6. doobiedoobiedum

OK, have been playing with the Beta 2.8 version and been really pleased - firstly I didn't uninstall Blender within 3 days and second I've actually completed several models already.

2.8 is out this week - taken me 15+ years but finally Blender is actually useable for me. If you're like me and have hated Blender's way of doing things - this version is really good.

https://www.blender.org/download/releases/2-80/

WillAdams likes this.