bios update f.03

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by runningcode, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. runningcode

runningcode Pen Pal - Newbie

so i subscribed to HP's alert emails that tell me when there are product updates and spam.
    today i got a nice one: there is a f.03 bios update that was apparently released october 8th. in spite of the fact that this was two weeks ago, i can't seem to find the bios update anywhere on their site.
    the link in the email sends me to the page where all the other software and driver and downloads are. id really like this update because it fixes that annoying bug when if you have a usb device attached the comp wont boot.
    the fixes are:
    DETAILS OF CHANGE
    New features:

Updated Intel Memory Reference Code (MRC) to version 1.4 to align with the latest Intel MRC code release.

Field issue fixes:

Fixed an issue where the computer hangs during boot if legacy USB devices (external keyboard and mouse) are attached to the system.

Removed the warning message about the computer not having a WLAN card installed.

2. solsavr

solsavr Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got this today too...same luck as you trying to find it though! I can only find f2...I suppose its coming :eek:

3. runningcode

4. act-tpcr

act-tpcr Pen Pal - Newbie

i do like to keep my software, bios, drivers, etc up to date and just flashed this bios. thanks for the heads up. curious that it didn't show up in the hp support assistant utility (which, yes, i still have installed and use... lol).

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I've always used Control Panel ->Sound ->Sounds -> uncheck the box at the bottom that says: "play Windows sound at startup" What about the new BIOS changes that, anyway? Any noticeable changes. My policy is to NEVER flash a new BIOS until many people have done so and have reported:

1) No problems, especially, no "bricked" computers (a sadly common result of flashing BIOS)

2) Tangible benefits, in areas I care about

The only other thing that would cause me to flash a new BIOS would be if I couldn't use certain software or drivers without doing so, but that would really fall under #2, above, but in the negative rather than the positive. To give you an example, along with over a dozen members of the HP DV8 DTR forum in notebookreview.com, I am running the second ever BIOS released for that computer, from February 2010, because it fixed many, many problems. Since then, there have been 6 BIOS updates, none of which indicate any meaningful benefit and our DV8s have run perfectly, and I mean perfectly for almost a year, with widely disparate hardware and software add-ons, but the one thing in common that we stuck with an early, stable BIOS. Those who updated either suffered bricked computers (<10%) or numerous problems with drivers and/or software (>50%).

Just a cautionary tale. HP is weird about driver and BIOS updates. They release them without giving you a good reason to update and I have observed a significant percentage of new drivers, and more than one new BIOS version, pulled within days of being posted - clearly due to havoc they caused because, oh my, it seems they weren't really well tested :rolleyes:

6. Lehto

Lehto Scribbler - Standard Member

What I've found in the newest bios upgrades has been that theres always been some upgrades done that have been forgot to mention. Say for example a better optimized fan profile.

7. lovelaptops

I guess the question would be, how does one learn of the upgrades that they don't mention?:rolleyes: Also, as the owner of 3 consumer grade HP laptops, I can tell you that, of perhaps 10 new BIOS updates, somewhere around 9 of them had fan regulation as the major revision! Worse, those who flashed them rarely noticed any change to the cooling, the fan noise or anything else! Go figure.

8. Lehto

Lehto Scribbler - Standard Member

Well back in the "old days" when they still used BIOS, you could actually see the fan profile from dsdt.aml file by extracting it from windows registry so you can compare it between bios revisions. You cant actually even spot most of the changes without some reverse engineering but with UEFI you can for example see how the mouse behaves in the configuration panel (in 2740p it is quite dreadful and way over sensitive).

Then theres always comparing the code in the uncompressed bios files. Ive heard of people even decompiling their bioses and added overclocking features to them (dont remember which netbook it was).

9. runningcode

i am not talking about the windows sounds, i am talking about the loud beep that happens immediately after hitting the power switch if you have security enabled (fingerprint, password, smartcard) in bios on your laptop.

after some testing, i find that f5 now disables that beep, but the changes will not stay after rebooting. HP is useless

10. lovelaptops

OK, got it. Headphone jack - always have headphones (or just a plug) plugged into it. I nearly always have them plugged in and rarely put them on until after I have run my fingerprint, but I now I know what you mean. Headphone jack. Does hitting mute before shutting down leave it on mute until you un-mute, or does it re-set like f5? Headphone jack ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.