BIOS Settings for Gateway M285-E

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Waynehjr1, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Waynehjr1

Waynehjr1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know if there is a BIOS update that will allow more versatility for the settings inside the Gateway M285-E Tablet PC?

I ask this because I am in the process of upgrading my Gateway M285-E. I'm waiting for the new 'Seagate Momentus XT 500gb ST95005620AS Solid State' & '4GB RAM 2x2GB DDR2 200 Pin PC2-64000 800MHz Memory' to arrive.

I actually have already installed the T7600G (2.33GHz) Processor, which allows for overclocking up to 3.16GHz.

The existing BIOS does not allow for any alterations to the CPU. I am just curious if there might be a way around this.

I am planning on installing Windows 7 OS when the HD arrives. I am not sure if that will change the BIOS at all, yet, until I actually install the OS.

Any information will be helpful.

2. Waynehjr1

Waynehjr1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I have finally received and installed 'Seagate Momentus XT 500gb ST95005620AS Solid State' & '4GB RAM 2x2GB DDR2 200 Pin PC2-64000 800MHz Memory'. They all work fine with one exception, I have to use Vista instead of Windows 7. I tried installing Windows 7 64bit and it will install all the updates except for the 'Finepoint Inovations' upgrade. It keeps on failing to install. Is there a fix for this somewhere?

3. Spartikiss

Spartikiss Scribbler - Standard Member

Sounds like a bad install of Win7 or a bad copy of the driver...

Try downloading both again and reinstalling.

-Spart

4. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

FinePoint...that's the pen digitizer used in those first-generation Viper convertibles, and also the one used in the Compaq TC1000.

I don't know much about it, but in addition to needing a pen battery, its software support appears to be noticeably lacking compared to Wacom (which, coincidentally, both the second-gen Gateway Viper convertibles and the TC1100 use, along with almost every other Tablet PC on the market).

Is the Vista version in question 32-bit? That might explain it, for if FinePoint hasn't produced any 64-bit drivers, you're SOL on 64-bit Windows and will have to go for 32-bit Win7.