BIOS & HD FIRMWARE (Bootable ISOs)

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by DanielNTX, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorcilantro

doctorcilantro Scribbler - Standard Member

Curious if anyone using x64 has used these updates from Lenovo.

My BIOS is seeing my external hard drive but won't boot with either of these discs I've made with UltraISO.

Lenovo makes mention of Sonic's RecordNow but I can't get that app to work on my machine.

I'm not clear on why something burned with UltraISO, a reliable app, won't boot. I'm pretty sure it's a BIOS thing; in the past I have had to recycle the power on the CD drive to complete a boot from cd operation.

Frustrating to say the least.

DC

2. kdejaeger

kdejaeger Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I downloaded the hd firmware update ISO. Burned it with Nero. Booting worked from a usb dvd rewriter. But the program couldn't find or determine the hard drive, I got some kind of error.

Check the readme first though to check if your hard drive applies. Mine was not in the list but I wanted to try it anyway.

3. doctorcilantro

Thanks, I checked with Everest and my Hitachi HD has the newest BIOS. I'll try cycling the power on the external.

DC

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Scribbler - Standard Member

According to the readme the software cannot find the HD unless you use the CD drive built into the Ultradock. Mine worked fine with Ultimate 32.

5. doctorcilantro

I saw that mentioned in the faq but didn't realize it meant explicitly one had to use the UltraDock. Pretty ridiculous. Using x64 Vista Ultimate, I can't update my BIOS or HD frimware unless I own an ultraDock?

DC

6. DJ Garcia

DJ Garcia Pen Pal - Newbie

So Lenovo is sending updates that can only be done from the Ultradock? That makes a lot of sense ...

7. doctorcilantro

The FAQ states that we have to use the ISO if x64 is installed....

yeah....genius.

Just give us the raw BIOS and let us load it with a USB floppy etc.

I was able to boot into DOS with their disks but I didn't see the same files that are wrapped up in the ISO, one of which is named "PHLASH16.exe" and another "Flash2.exe".

I'd like to try and extract all the files and excute with a floppy after booting into dos, but I'm a bit nervous messing the BIOS without knowing exactly which file to execute.

DC

8. GregBrewer

GregBrewer Pen Pal - Newbie

I was able to flash my bios by copying the files from the cd to an bottable usb flash drive and running lcreflsh.bat.

9. doctorcilantro

Good idea Greg, thanks.

I restored the system to the default factory 32-bit install after getting Lenovo to ship them to me free. After flashing I restored my OS with Acronis.

DC

10. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Scribbler - Standard Member

I had the same problem. Make a USB bootable memory stick with DOS on it. Format it FAT32. Then extract the ISO on to the stick. Run LCREFLSH.BAT and it updates. The issue I had was Bitlocker was installed so it wouldn't flash. I disabled Bitlocker temporarily and it still wouldn't flash. PFlash gives a BitLocker enabled warning. You have to disable both BitLocker and the TPM chip temporarily and do the flash. After the flash re-enable both and reboot to see if BitLocker detects an intrusion attempt. If it does, enter the 32 character BitLocker key and then disable and re-enable BitLocker once again after boot up.