[BIOS] EP121AS 501 [Modding Thread]

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Valkirie, Jan 5, 2012.

1. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Great.. Nitros..did you tried with a bootable sd or just a sd card inserted before going into the boot menu? sometimes there is no list show up if the component is not in.

2. nitros

nitros Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, I always have a sdcard in the slot, but it is not bootable though, just stores some data.

What I understand is that we need to manually add a boot device:
    refer USB Boot - bios trouble in Asus Laptop
    That user sees an entry 'Choose option:' whereas I see 'Select filesystem' (the garbled menu).

Page 102 of https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...3iXnSh&sig=AHIEtbTlE-nJ5KaEjHZXAPOUzhevGPTmiA doesn't help much either.

May be a bootable card might boot. But I am back to original 501 BIOS because of heat issues. the thing is even after applying the original bios the cpu's are running on full speed and so is the temperature rising.

3. CF77

I had modified the bios 603 using AMIBCP VER 4.50.0.36
    I disabled the" protchot" as what Valkerie did previously.

flashed..and works so far without the need of Throttlestop..I may post it later.

4. CF77

edit ..link in post #65

Have no problem flashing it..no throttling at all.

as th modded bios file is posted in a third party site.. pls do a virus check, hash check and read the readme603.txt before any actions.

also read post # 67 if you planned to use easy flash.

pls post of your result.

Valkerie...you may add this to your first post.

5. CF77

I was browsing the bios structure with AMIBCP.. There is "Turbo 33" overclock feature being turned off by ASUS. A risk to turn it on? definitely uses more battery juice.

http://event.asus.com/2009/nb/legal_disclaimer/

Still could not find the boot for sd card. need the 00C2 module extracted and check.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. Shards_x

Shards_x Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi CF77. Thanks for modding BIOS 603. I'm also very curious about the Turbo 33 feature. :) Of course, SD boot would be a boon to have. I have no idea about BIOS modding, but I wish you success!

7. CF77

According to AMI, you can group and prioritize your boot devices. Yet, the AMIBCP does not show the boot tab. The boot tab is missing in B121 and older versions of BIOs. No boot tab in the ASUS UX41 model bios. UX41 bios is very similar to EP121 and B121 bios structure wise. UX41 is ultrathin 2 sec turn on notebook by ASUS with 16 hrs battery time.

I have not flashed a modded bios with Turbo 33 enabled..until, I understand more.

just a reminder: According to experts in Mydigitallife forum, AMIBCP tool could be unreliable..and could brick your rom..

I guess we are lucky and ok with the "Prochot" enabled.

8. Shards_x

Shards_x Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi CF77.

I have tried flashing my EP121 using your modded 603 BIOS. I followed the same procedure as I did flashing Valkyrie's modded 501 BIOS, initiating the flash from BIOS, and unfortunately, I think I ended up bricking my tablet.

Do you have any advice?

Thanks.

9. CF77

I have no problem flashing mine..using stock winflash.

you can try...reset cpu..using pin between usb..it will reset to default and not optimal.

still no sign of boot

then
    try.. use a usb with 603 bios in it with extension ".rom" to boot up to see if it will recover.

I'm going to remove the modded file for download.

10. tannalv

tannalv Pen Pal - Newbie

I too had no problem flashing the modded 603 bios.

You could also try removing the back cover, removing battery and bios battery (in case there's some funny settings. I made some funny settings with the modded 601 that weren't too smart, namely "fast boot". Locked me out of the bios)