[BIOS] EP121AS 501 [Modding Thread]

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Valkirie, Jan 5, 2012.

1. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

I used Winflash under ASUS. There were discussions on bios flashing in old posts.

501 mod is ok.. I think one member has flashed 601mod.

2. MindyAZ

MindyAZ Poodle of Doom

Please see above quote.
    I had to do this or else winflash would not work.
    I got winflash from the Asus ep121 driver site. Then I did the above operations and it would then flash. The flashing is painless. I downloaded the modded file ( it has a weird ending after the . ). I put it on my desktop to make it easy to find. Then I downloaded and installed Winflash from Asus driver site. I did the /no date fix on winflash, then opened winflash, and searched for the bios file. The left button, which is to flash ( next to exit button on the right), I clicked it. It went through it's deale-o. BOOM flashed. I restarted. And my CPU was running like a champ and had no more freezing during anything! ( unfortunately my fan problem of being noisy did not stop).
    Would of added some screenshots but turned my slate in for repair due to the fan problem...

3. Valkirie

Valkirie Pen Pal - Newbie

Fan always noisy ?
    On my old EP121 (before I knew I could edit BIOS) to get rid of both problem (fan/throttling) I just opened the slate and unglued the sensor then moved it (bend it, carefully) next to one of the "air inlet".

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  4. CF77

Valkirie, have you been able to go deeper of the bios to enable boot from sd card?

edit: I am adding pics of the boot screen as reference.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Valkirie

Valkirie Pen Pal - Newbie

As you can see on the Boot.PNG there are hidden options.
    |- Add New Boot Option
    |- Delete Boot Option

But I'm not sure I'll be able to make them visible.
    Here are 501 & 601 with an attempt to enable those MENUS (shouldn't be risky)

501: http://www.2shared.com/file/_mfbml3Y/EP121AS501.html
    601: http://www.2shared.com/file/RQ3vZxS8/EP121AS601.html

Code:
    ASUS EP121

MODIFICATION(S):
      - PROCHOT: Disabled
      - BOOT MENU: Access/Use to USER

Keep in mind that flashing your slate's BIOS
    can be dangerous. You should think about it
    calmly before doing it. I am not responsible
    of any damage that could be done to your SLATE. By DOWNLOADING and FLASHING your BIOS, you agree with this !

In order to apply those modifications, you'll
    need to restore Optimized Settings threw the BIOS.

AS USUAL, READ THE README !

6. CF77

Thx again..

I wonder if there is any bios simulator or vm environment that we could try out?

7. smslocum

smslocum Earnest Pilgrim

I apologize- I don't understand what's being said here. How is this done? What is my winflash property page Target command line?

Again, apologies..

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I don't understand what's being said here...>>

sm: In addition to running an app by clicking or double-clicking on it, many system-type apps have options or "switches" that the user can invoke to enable or disable features or functions. To do this, the app must be run in "command line" mode.

CF77 is talking about doing that in order to disable the part of the BIOS Flashing application that checks the date of the installed BIOS to ensure that the BIOS that you are trying to install has a more current date.

<...add /nodate to your winflash property page Target cmd line.

look like this
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\WinFlash\WinFlash.exe" /nodate...>>

...In this case, running the red text from your DOS command line would be the same as simply double-clicking on the app icon. However, running from the command line allows you to add the switch (blue text) to disable the date check and thus install an older BIOS over your newer BIOS. Note that some apps have several such switches and they can strung together on the command line (i.e., several switches can be invoked at once)...

9. smslocum

smslocum Earnest Pilgrim

Many thanks, Steve. I came close to guessing correctly what was meant about the command line, but didn't get it. Thanks for being so clear and so patient.

I am now running modded bios 501! :)

10. nitros

nitros Pen Pal - Newbie

I have tested Valkirie's second modified BIOS 501 [http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/274777-post35.html]
    Even though it flashes successfully, the add boot option does not work correctly.

Here are a few images of the screen:
    [1] Boot tab - http://i.imgur.com/ZMIWw.jpg
    [2] Add new boot option - http://i.imgur.com/arQAg.jpg
    [3] Select filesystem - http://i.imgur.com/US47q.jpg

When I choose 'Boot > Add new boot option> Select Filesytem', I see the screen [3]. The menu is not rendered correctly, and none of the keys affect this menu except the escape key which brings back to the previous screen.

I did load the optimized defaults, and have tried twice.

Also I do not know what to be entered in 'Path for boot option', which it says needs to be something of the format 'fs0:<SOMETHING>.efi' i.e ending with efi extension.

Either way if I just select 'Create' it just goes back a page. When I see boot device list the newly [might] be created boot option does not appear here nor in the 'Delete Boot Option'.