[BIOS] EP121AS 501 [Modding Thread]

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Valkirie, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Pirohmaniac

Pirohmaniac Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm worried about it because when I flashed the bios of my first ep121 and it bricked, I watched as it reprogrammed the BootBlock as well. If that's intact, you can probably bring it back, but if it's screwed, your're REALLY screwed. Like I was. Good thing the store took it back. :D

2. smslocum

smslocum Earnest Pilgrim

I'm presently running 501. What's the advantage to using 601?

Would you recommend that I download the 501 in the op (I'm assuming this is the modified version) and try that before considering 601?

Thanks

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...What's the advantage to using 601?..>>

...No one really seems to know, and no one knows why Samsung delisted it from the support page.

A good rule of thumb for all BIOS updates is: If your current BIOS is working OK and the new release doesn't offer you anything that you really need... Don't update!

4. Valkirie

Valkirie Pen Pal - Newbie

Who is affected by this mod:
    PROCHOT will only be a problem for those who use their slate for anything that use CPU a lot.

BIOS are modded with the same tool (AMIBCP 4.53) manufacturers (like Asus) are using. No hasardous hexa edit.

5. smslocum

smslocum Earnest Pilgrim

It sounds as though PROCHOT would have noticeable benefits even to Artrage, where pen lag can be an issue. Is that reasonable to say?

6. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you are experiencing slowdowns in programs, it is likely that installing one of these Modded BIOS will at least help to reduce the slow downs because it will remove the throttling on the CPU and GPU at lower (normal operating) temperatures.

I would recommend weighting the risks [mostly just that you could brick the device if you screw up instillation] with the benefits [no more 'dumb throttling' so you can get better performance; you shouldn't see any reduced battery life or increased heat] and deciding for yourself if you want to use one of the BIOS; If you have the 501 BIOS installed now, try using the modded 501 BIOS first, and if you have the 601 BIOS now you will likely only be able to use the 601 modded BIOS.

Be sure to have a fully charger battery and be plugged into a reliable outlet at the time; and don't have a ton of programs open or what not at the time (assuming you can update the BIOS from within Windows)

7. Incognito

Incognito Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys, I've been keeping track of this thread because I am very curious to see if I can get better performance in ArtRage, Photoshop and After Effects if I use the modded BIOS. Like others spectating, I have never done a BIOS procedure and am nervous but willing to give it a go.

Would any of you skilled veterans be willing to provide a short step-by-step instruction on how us keener noobs could do this mod on our slates? I have seen the other thread but the lingo is a bit too advanced for my knowledge. Any additional details as to precautions and preparations one might need if they upgraded their systems (new hard drive and wireless chip) would also be so greatly received! Thanks!

8. MindyAZ

MindyAZ Poodle of Doom

I used the 501 modded, since I had the multiplier issue. My slate was running at 665mhz all the time no matter what, even when I used prime95 to test it.
    As I was considering whether to use the modded bios, I used stopthrottle and did know immense increase in performance. My slate also had been slow on flash webpages, even freezing up sometimes.
    Well I looked in the thread and found how to take the protection off, to allow me to flash the new bios. Before my bios could not be flashed due to date.
    I flashed it with no issues and my slate began running superbly, getting full power out of my cpu.

9. Valkirie

Valkirie Pen Pal - Newbie

Good to hear,

Feel free to post the method you used to flash your BIOS.
    And I'll copy past it in the first post.

PS: Thanks are always welcome :p

Added this as a "REPORTED OK" flash.

10. haya-t

haya-t Pen Pal - Newbie

Could someone make a video how to flash the BIOS? I've never done that before...Would be a great help. thanks