[BIOS] EP121AS 501 [Modding Thread]

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Valkirie, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Shards_x

Shards_x Pen Pal - Newbie

I've downloaded both the BIOS files, and tried version 501.

I can confirm the BIOS does work and hasn't bricked my machine.

I don't notice throttling anymore.

2. Valkirie

Valkirie Pen Pal - Newbie

Good news. I'll edit the first post and quote this into it.

Rave112 likes this.
  3. Grimspoon

Grimspoon Scribbler - Standard Member

Can you mod the bios options to allow the EP121 to boot from SD slot?

cmj141 likes this.
  4. smslocum

smslocum Earnest Pilgrim

Fond Greetings, Folks-

I'm interested in this post, as I, too, have had problems for which it was recommended that I use throttle stop. If I can make changes in BIOS instead, or upgrade my BIOS, then that would seem to be an upgrade.

I'm concerned, though. I've never messed with BIOS before. I see this thread and its two links to ep121 BIOS upgrades, I see a positive response from someone who upgraded to the BIOS with smaller number (presumably the less-advanced version), and I hear all this talk of 'bricking.'

This leaves me with questions. Why upgrade to the less-advanced version? Should I ask someone here to explain how this works, or is this the sort of situation where I should just do some research on how to mess with BIOS?

I imagine that throttling is an issue all ep121 owners will have to deal with. Should this be part of the new user guide?

Best wishes.

5. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Don't let how new a BIOS image is from the manufacturer fool you, it has absolutely zero to do with 'advancements' whatsoever; at most they are fixing a few tiny things with a BIOS update, and at worst it does nothing different at all and is meant more so to have it so you cannot flash a previous BIOS version (in other words to keep people from using modding BIOS's because for their own reasons they don't like it when people do something with their devices -though there is no rules or anything that would stop you from receiving repair services or anything so it holds nearly no risk a far as thats concerned [though if you do have problems with something on the EP121, just don't mention anything about a modded BIOS because they will try to pin the problem on that even if it makes no sense, mostly because the lazy tech support/ repair people that work for the greedy company can])

I would recommend you give it some thought and strongly consider flashing your BIOS to the modded one so you can have the processor run at more usable speeds. I installed a similar modded BIOS [this one unlocked the final multiplier on the CPU and removed hardware white listing] on my 2730p quite some time ago and with ThrottleStop I can very easily clock it high and get considerably smoother performance on more demanding things, and battery life hasn't taken a hit from that...
    This modded BIOS is only really making the change of moving the throttling limit for the CPU [and by extension GPU] so that it is at higher temperatures that it will throttle down, rather than the low temperatures it is at now; it is perfectly safe to do so, especially considering the thermal limit is right around 100C and you won't be pushing close to that, ever. But there is no way you could change this yourself, its all in this modded BIOS... You certainly don't even need to use ThrottleStop at all.

And all the talk about bricking the device is a reminder from those of us that are from the good old days when BIOS updates were about as scary as fighting a grizzly bear with your bare hands -that though it has been made a lot better there is still the chance of screwing up! so just be sure to take the proper precautions like having a fully charged battery, being plugged in to a reliable outlet and all

6. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

To flash back older versions

add /nodate to your winflash property page Target cmd line.
    look like this
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\WinFlash\WinFlash.exe" /nodate

adding /nodate remove the safety.

It won't flash if header of the files does not contain EP121 identifier.

7. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

@ CF77
    Does anybody know what happened to BIOS version 601? I see that you have it in your signature.

@ Valkirie
    Have you tried to see what the difference between 601 and 501?

8. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. smslocum

smslocum Earnest Pilgrim

@ Agent9

Thanks for your response. If I understand correctly, the two files presented here for download, BIOS 501 and 601, aren't upgrades, just small changes Valkirie made.

I haven't been able to find the distinction between these files in this thread so far. Shards_X has tried 501 and it works for him -- it doesn't brick the computer and it stops the machine from throttling; the 601 to which there's a link to in the original post is (maybe) the same 601 that CF77 is running? From cmergel's post, I might infer it's hard to tell what the difference between 501 and 601 is?

I feel better about downloading these- less worried about bricking my machine. However, I still don't know which of these files I should install. Also, when it comes to it -- unless it's quite obvious -- I won't know how to install them, either.

I'm not entirely comfortable just throwing the weight of my ignorance onto this thread. If there are a handful of search terms that will point me in the right direction, I'll be happy to do my own homework.

Best regards.

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I...don't know which of these files I should install. Also...I won't know how to install them, either...>>

sm: Start here:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep121-slate/41308-bios-601-pulled.html

To search, go to the Google website and enter your search terms (e.g., BIOS, 501, 601, etc....) and include this phrase: site:forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep121-slate

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015