[BIOS] EP121AS 501 [Modding Thread]

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Valkirie, Jan 5, 2012.

1. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Hi, everyone..I will try yo post the bios... Hosting sites are full of h@cks these days...

Give me a few days..

2. Vincentn64

Vincentn64 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey!

I discovered this thread few days ago and I'm so glad and amazed :D
    Thank you CF77 for what you've done.
    I'm looking forward to your bios reupload so I can try it out ^^

3. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

I have a hardtime finding an upload site...

4. doomtoo

doomtoo Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, I can upload it on my site if you PM or email it to me. My website is consistently up, and I don't mind people being able to download a few mb file, so I can link to it afterwards (just direct download)

5. Aiffe

Aiffe Pen Pal - Newbie

Just throwing another idea in there for people who worry about their slates overheating but hate the throttling....

I noticed my computer throttling badly whenever I did anything too CPU-intensive. Unfortunately, I got it for drawing on, and apparently it thinks Photoshop is "too CPU intensive." I could tell it was getting hot in earnest too: it would get so hot that it was uncomfortable to rest my hand on the screen while drawing. I'd take it out of the folio to draw to let it breathe a bit more, but even that didn't buy me much. Simply forcing it to not throttle while I could feel it baking didn't appeal to me. I don't know if it could damage the hardware, but in any case it was simply uncomfortable to work with.

So I tried a laptop cooling stand, the kind that has a bunch of fans blowing on it. I modified one to work upright instead of horizontally, and the fans basically just blow on the back of the tablet. That sounds kind of stupid, since there's no vents there, but it actually does work. The difference is remarkable. Even browsing a resource-heavy website like tumblr for a few minutes without the cooling stand and bam, I'm throttled. Do that with the fan and it's fine.

I got a vacuum fan for it too, for portability + backup, though I haven't tried that one solo yet. Simply keeping the machine cooler seems to keep it sharp and optimal. It's not pretty to look at, and it makes it bulky, but if you want this for doing serious work like art or 3D modeling or video editing at a desk or something, it's well worth it. I can definitely feel that it cools it. Most of the glass is cool to the touch. The top left corner, near the power supply, can be slightly warm, but not hot like it was before.

I'm not going to mod my BIOS, because I'm on Win10 and it doesn't seem worth the possible brick. Plus cooling it just feels wiser to me.