[BIOS] EP121AS 501 [Modding Thread]

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Valkirie, Jan 5, 2012.

1. SubDJ

SubDJ Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually I can't check the system tray icon because I don't have one. I used to but even after re installing I have no system tray icon, and under PC Setting => PC and Devices there is no longer an option to turn BT on or off. There is nothing BT related under devices either, and nothing when I search the entire computer. I'm checking for different solutions but in short the Device Manager is stopping my BT for some reason even when it is seemingly installed.

It should be set to optimize, but I'll check again. I only booted into the bios once and after that it seemed like my keyboard wasn't working.

I don't want to derail this topic, so if I should make a separate topic or look around the threads some more, please let me know.

EDIT: I found the asus Control Deck and BT set to OFF, so I think I have some conflicting software. I'm gonna experiment more later.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  2. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

3. kufyit

kufyit Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, Was going to mod up to 704 Oct; only one problem, I can't seem to install WinFlash!
    Spend an hour trying to fake it out, kept giving me a message: "So Sorry! Only support ASUS Notebook" (slanging mine).
    Can't find the installed version of it on my USB fobs anywhere.

Help?

Oh! is it ok to BIOS Flash from a FAT fob?

4. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

I recall you need asus id software be installed first..
    it is in their utility section.

I think it is APRP file

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  5. cmj141

cmj141 Pen Pal - Newbie

Would love to know this as well. I know this is an old thread but anyone know if this is possible and also is there a backlight option ? My backlight stopped working. Bought a new display and new lvds cable and still it doesn't work

6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't know of any AMIBCP-based mod that would let you do that, see here for reference.

Did you try pressing down on the LCD connector (it sometimes does not form a good contact):
    [​IMG]

If this doesn't work, since you already replaced the ribbon and panel, then I guess it has to be a motherboard problem. Are you able to output to secondary display?

Just to note, it's probably cheaper to simply buy used than to try to replace the motherboard--ASUS quoted me $400 for mobo replacement.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  7. cmj141

cmj141 Pen Pal - Newbie

Marty, the lvds cable I mentioned is the lcd cable so yeah I tried pushing it in, reconnected it, then bought another one.

Called Asus and yeah told me $400 for the mobo. I could buy a whole used ep121 for that on eBay. $400 for basically a notebook mobo seems absurd too or is it just me?

Btw there's a thread somewhere about soldering a chip with a 0 on it by the lvds connector by "bridging" it. That made others backlight work but that was on another machine and not a ep121. Don't know what that 0 chip is and how it effects the BL nor what and how to do a bridge with it. Know anything about that?

8. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah $400 is ridiculous. Just buy used or refurbished if you can find it.

I've never heard of anything like that, but maybe @CF77 knows more?

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

9. Dachande

Dachande Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello CF77,
    I have tried to download your 704mod bios from all the links in this forum and they all go to expired uploads. Can you reposted it so that I could download it for my ep121?

10. Mark Richmond

Mark Richmond Pen Pal - Newbie

When I attempt to download this file it is flagged by my system as containing a virus, specifically, a Trojan. When I advised the download to ignore the error message and download it anyway, as soon as I attempted to open the file it was flagged and immediately quarantined.

Is there any way to get a replacement BIOS file that hasn't been corrupted? I'd love to give it a try on my B121. Although I've just purchased a new ASUS Transformer 3 Pro as a B121 replacement, I'd hate to set my old slate aside completely.